what's a good 25-28mm winter tyre?

shefbiker
shefbiker Posts: 255
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi. I've been running 28mm Continental Contact Sports all summer (if you can call it that...), and am concious that there's not much tread on them heading in to the autumn/winter of wet leaves and ice/snow.

Can anyone recommend a good treaded 28mm tyre (i can't go any bigger) that would do in most winter conditions?

Thanks

Comments

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    A tread pattern doesn't really help much on the roads, and nothing will grip on wet leaves or ice. A grippy compound is the best solution, but it won't be cheap - Conti GP4000S, or Michelin Krylion Carbon when they're finally back in stock. For good puncture resistance Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase (a bargain at £10 each here).

However, if you want something treaded and almost indestructible Schwalbe Marathon.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • GregP
    GregP Posts: 23
    The inevitable vote for Conti Gatorskins.

And an 'unrecommendation', if there be such a word, for Vittoria Raddoneurs.
    Commuting: Brompton M3L (2009) - FCN 13
  • Another one of the usual supects: Panaracer Pasella Tourguards. I've worn out four of these (in 700cX25) now, but only punctured once - and that was because I ran over a six inch spike of glass...
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...Schwalbe Marathon Plus...nothing else comes close... 8)
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • The inevitable vote for Conti Gatorskins.
    and another. Just let a bit of air out when it's really skiddy on the road.
  • ChrisLS wrote:

Totally agree with you there!! Sacrifice a bit of drag over stopping at the side of the road to fix a puncture anyday.
    Commuter Surosa Toledo S34 Audax
    Best Bike Merida Road Race 901-18

In truth i love them both
  • Sorry, real n00b question here - Just got a new Specialized Allez Sport 2008, (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-sport-2008-road-bike-ec001388).

If I want to upgrade the tyres, (after my first commute diving around lots of glass), am I looking for 700 x 23? What do those measurements mean, and do the Gatorskins/Scwhalbes come in the right sizes?
  • GregP
    GregP Posts: 23
    Not sure Gaotrskins go down as far as 23, but for commuting I'd think seriously about something bigger anyway - I commute on 28s which is reasonably mainstream, I believe.
    Commuting: Brompton M3L (2009) - FCN 13
  • Is there any way I can find out if the bike will take tyres that wide, or is it a case of going to the LBS and asking?
  • beseku,

The "23" and "28" are the cross-sectional size of the tyre- so as a rough guide a 28c tyre will be 2.5mm bigger ALL ROUND than a 23c. If you have more than 2.5mm clearance between your current tyres and the brake-bridges and the bottom bracket ("height" above rim due to wheel being bigger) and the seat & chain stays (width of tyre) then you can probably find a 28c that you can squeeze in. If you have mudguards, then they'll need to be sized appropriately, too, of course.

Tyres sizes are nominal and vary a lot between brands. Some 25s are really 23s and some are really 28s. If clearance is tight, you may have to be pretty picky, and if you're going to an LBS you should probably take your bike with you.

Cheers,
    W.
  • I have just done 3000 miles on Continental 4 Seasons comuting into central London. They are not considered puncture resistant when compared to your M+ and Armadillo type tyres - but I have only had 3 p**ct**es since Dec 2007.

I think this probably demonstrates that in terms of avoiding unscheduled deflations it is at least equally as important to run your tyres at the correct pressure and to avoid patches of broken glass.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I've done just over 1000 miles on my Schwalbe Ultremos, about half of which was commuting in London, and I have had zero punctures.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    On September I reached the 1k miles on my Specialized All Condition Armadillo Tyres and no punctures at all whilst commuting in Cambridge. I have ridden through broken glass, potholes, you name it ... Excellent value at £40 a pair.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I've been using Race Lite in 23 for about a year and a bit now. Not had a single pucture, though the rubber is a little scarred due to the amount of glass and debris I encounter. The deeper/bigger tyre is more comfortable I'm told, but not as fast, lol.

I'll probably replace mine soon if I have the cash.
  • ChrisLS wrote:

+2 for marathon plus

but but but

schwalbe now have a tyre called marathon supreme which they claim to be lighter, faster, gripper in the wet and even more puncture proof

I had conti contact sports 26 x 1.5 before the p fairy paid me a visit hence me going to schwalbe, the speed diference is noticable between the plus and the contis, if you do get the plus just make sure you keep the pressure topped up all the time to keep the rolling resistance down.
  • Having tried both Marathons & Gatorskins, I'd recommend the Marathons: they have much better grip than the Gators.
    FCN 7 (4 weekdays)
    FCN 11 (1 weekday)

There is an old cyclist called Leigh (not me!)
    Who's pedalling's a blur to see
    So fast is his action
    The Lorenz Contraction
    Shortens his bike to a "T"