who rides rigid?

jpstar
jpstar Posts: 561
edited November 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi at the moment im riding a rigid thats quite old that i got as a present to do up and generally improve as I was thinking about becoming a bike mechanic for a part time job etc. So anyway back to the point who rides a rigid bike and if so what one? would love to see pics and will post mine up probably tomorrow when its not dark. But yeah do you ride rigid and if so why?

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Had a fully rigid bike until last year - still got two of them but the Stumpy is currently being borrowed by Dad.

Just like the purity and the springy steel frame:

IMG_0581.jpg
  • Now a days I seem to mainly ride a rigid bike, although I do have a full suss too.

Mine is a fairly decent speced single speed. A Gunnar Ruffian frame with Pace RC31 forks.

For the local trails I don't really find any need for suspension, and the fact the bike is virtually maintenance free is a big bonus. Also hill climbing on a single speed is much easier on rigid forks.

The only recent picture I could find was of me at the Gorrick 12 hour race.

Torqinyoursleep.jpg
  • aye, my explosif is rigid. Pace RC31s. lovely.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I love the feeling of riding rigid, feeling just the air in your tyres cushioning you as you whizz along.

I only ride rigid when my fork is locked out now, but would have kept a rigid steel MTB if I could have justified it.
  • In the middle of building a ridgid ss,on one frame,superstar carbon fork,hope mono mini pro brakes. Just need wheels and decide on gear ratios,
    ding dang do
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    I steal my mates old P7 (pre 1995) at times. Quasar rigid forks, Hope hubs, mavic rims, v-brakes...

Reminds me of the good ole' days. It feels soo quick, must be due to the bone rattling ride!

I'll post a picture when I steel it next time... I would've called it a retro bike, but recently I've replaced the old friction shifters, rear mech and chainset. :cry:... Not really a pure retro anymore.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    JasonRwmb wrote:
    Now a days I seem to mainly ride a rigid bike, although I do have a full suss too.

Mine is a fairly decent speced single speed. A Gunnar Ruffian frame with Pace RC31 forks.

For the local trails I don't really find any need for suspension, and the fact the bike is virtually maintenance free is a big bonus. Also hill climbing on a single speed is much easier on rigid forks.

The only recent picture I could find was of me at the Gorrick 12 hour race.

Torqinyoursleep.jpg

What a great picy. You on a singlespeed rigid and the guy behind walking up the hill :lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • I'm still riding rigid as I can't afford a new bike at the moment. Still saving for a P7 or a self build Kinesis. However I'm still really enjoying riding 3 to 4 times a week allbeit on fairly easy routes. Its a Diamondback Topanga in black with green swirls. Its still in very good nick with most kit still original including the tyres although I am about to change those at the weekend..I stripped virtually everything down, replaced all the cables and the seat, now she is running very sweet..Will be nice to have some front suspension thou. The routes around the edge of corn fields are v bumpy. I rode the route along the bottom of Hadleigh Castle yesterday (2012 site) and that was interesting in places with a rigid!
  • I've got a Cannondale CAAD7 (1995 ish) alongside my Trek Fuel 90, I've had the C'dale since new, sold it in 2006 to make way for the Trek and then bought it back off the guy I sold it too. Changed it to 8 Speed with XTR shifters and brakes, new cables all through, new handlebars and saddle and thats it. Will be shifting the Front Derailleur from the Trek when I replace it.

The C'dale is stil my favorite bike to ride,(I've got a road bike as well.) and although the a bit rattly on the downhills she climbs like a dream.

However everyone who rides it seems to crash it, hence it's name "The Widowmaker"
  • I have old judys on my ssxc bike with v's that is basically rigid, doesn't move at all. I want some carbon forks for it and a new frame and discs!
  • I still ride a rigid Orange Prestige I bought 15 years ago. Managed to come 13th on it at the Meridia mountain marathon in Penrith (50km) a few weeks ago. Every time I ride it, it gives me a buzz. You just get used to ride and how to chuck it around. I do hire something with suspension at some of the trail centres though.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I think there's a lot to be said in favour of riding rigid. When I first started MTBing I rode a springy Tange-tubed Marin with tractor tyres and it was great providing I didn't take it jumping or down rock steps. It was also a no-brainer in terms of maintenance, just put it away dirty and it was good to go next time.
  • Ive got a Titanium Merlin hardtail. Its got Fox RLC forks, Mavic 819 rims on King hubs. Its got Hope mono mini brakes, king headset, XTR shifters, crank and mechs, Ritchey carbon bars, stem and seat post. Finished off with a slr titanium saddle and Bontrager carbon bar ends. Ive ridden some of the top full sussers on the market and i wouldnt swap mine for any of them. It comes down to personal choice, and my choice is hardtail. I had a guy come up and say full sussers are better. He was on a kona stinky worth £1,600. Im sitting there on a £4,000 Merlin. He said i was just jealous because i couldnt afford a good full susser. Some people really have no idea.
  • it's horses for courses...

on many routes you'd be a hell of a lot quicker on a CX bike, but some you wouldn't want to take even a very expensive HT down due to them being just too rough.
  • No, I'm too old now and my creaking joints can't take it.
  • I know someone who rides a rigid 29er. He rides it like a downhill bike.

He said that once he misjudged a corner, hit a big route at speed and heard the front tyre buzz on the bottom tube. Carbon forks are very flexible when you need them to be!
    _ _ _ _
    Green people might argue that cyclists deserve a tax break because they aren't polluting the environment, but cyclists burn energy similarly to cars: their increased demand for food isn't great for the environment
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Ridden rigid several times - when I forget to knock-off the lockout :oops: Not good for my knackered shoulders though :wink: