Would putting longer travel forks on a stumpy work?

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited September 2008 in XC and Enduro
I have a spanking new 08 stumpy ht which is fandabydosy.

However, was thinking the other day about maybe in the future putting some longer travel forks on it - standard is only 90mm.

Would this affect the handling much if I went for a 120mm fork?

Dont get me wrong - 90mm is good for me - but was just pondering....

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    120mm forks would make the bike handle like a barge.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Don't do it!

The bike is designed as a short travel, super agile XC machine, not a bruiser.

120mm forks would be like sticking Doc Marten boots on a sprinters feet.

I find the forks soak up everything I need them too - just set them quite soft.
  • James_F
    James_F Posts: 137
    For what it's worth you could probably put 100mm forks on if you want, but an increase in travel of 10mm is not really worth it.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Good you have all said what I thought :D

The only reason I asked was when browsing the fox brochure, I didnt see the 90 RL listed anywhere and wondered if there was a better model further up the tree when it comes to upgrade time.

One thing that would be handy though would be a bar mounted lockout like the new ones have.
  • I think Fox RLs are not available as an after market option...i.e. they are only available on off the peg bikes.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    The Fox 90RL is Specialized only - you can't buy it off thr shelf.

It's a very good fork though.

I think the style of XC riding needed means you rarely need to lockout the forks - but it's easy to do on the move if needed. After all remote lockout INCREASES weight - the XC riders enemy!

The 32 Float F100 is the closest model to what you have but an extra 10mm really isn't much more and you'd have to shell out a few hundred quid for it.