The next stage

sloppychops
sloppychops Posts: 9
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi

New to this forum, so go easy on me. A couple of years ago when my mate offered to sell me his Trek 7000 for £100, i was assured that it was a bargain and wanting to get into MTB it was an ideal purchase (he was upgrading) even though it is a wee bit too big for me, but nevertheless i have had many fun days/rides from it.

Now i want more, and want to take my riding to the next level i.e more downhills so i have decided to go to the next stage and get an entry full sus. And i want any opinions on the two i have sort of settled on. My two choices are the Trek 6700 and Specialized Bicycle SX Trail, both come in around the £900 although i could stretch to a grand if needed.

Any other suggestion would be most welcome, but remember i am a newbe so all the tech stuff is a waste on me. I have merely decided on these bikes on the countless reviews. i will of course be buying from my LBS and hopefully they'll have both bikes for me to try.

many thanks

Comments

• As far as I can tell the Trek is a hardtail XC race bike. The SX trail is a freeride bike, which is about £900 for the frame. I'm not sure either of those are what you're after.

Check out the specialized fsr xc for an entry level full suss

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product.aspx?&id=809

You certainly don't need full-suss to go to the next level. The choice of FS over HT is down to personal preference, try demoing a decent HT and then a decent FS to make sure your getting the right ride for you.

You should be able to get a reasonable entry level FS for £1000 or a really great HT. Try the bike before you buy, it's a lot of money to spend and if it doesn't feel right it'd be a great waste.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • If you are going to the next level, not several levels, go for a hardtail (HT) rather than full sus (FS). Theres less maintainence for a start, and because you spend less on the frame, you get better equipment.
    You can get a very good one for the £600 mark. For example: Specialized Rockhoppers start about £600ish, http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewer ... egoryID=59, gives you a list. As the new 2009 range is out, you maybe able to get hold of some 2008 range at a good discount. Get the right size is the first thing, it'll feel so much better to ride. Whatever you go for, enjoy the riding....
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Giant Trance 3 at just under a grand is an excellent entry level FS bike with an upgradable (decent) frame. I'm just under 5'9'' and need a medium - on other bikes I sometimes go for small. The Specilased range are good too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.