Singlespeed conversion.

Simonb256
Simonb256 Posts: 880
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Im seriously tempted to convert my road bike to SS.
However theres one thing that semi-concerns me.

I commute 25miles each way, and its very very hilly. Though I can still slowly get up everything using the 52t ring up front (but im using the whole cassette 12-23).

So a 48 tooth or something up front and 16 rear should be amble shouldn't it? (the SS kit im getting only comes with a 16t, but can change it after)
"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984

Comments

• 5o miles a day is a lot, especially if it's hilly.

Why is it that you want to go singlespeed? It might be easier to advise if we knew what your motivation was.

Cheers,
    W.
  • check out Charlie the bike monger: http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/

you can find out everything you need to know about single speeds. I ride 20+ miles each way to work on a single speed and love it. my route is mixed with hills and fast downhill sections, you just learn to cycle up the hills and spin out like mad when going down.
    Pace RC405
    Pace RC303
    Specialized A1 Rockhopper Pro Disc
    Bits A Bike SingleSpeed mountain bike
    Single speed Reynolds steel framed road bike
    1992 Marin rocky Ridge
    1990 Trek 8000
    1991 Kona Fire Mountain
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    work out a potential gear ratio and change your bike to that gear and ride to and from work

see how you get on with hills and the flats
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Seems kind of bloody-minded to me but each to his own! Gears are designed for hills, after all.
  • 5o miles a day is a lot, especially if it's hilly.

Why is it that you want to go singlespeed? It might be easier to advise if we knew what your motivation was.

Cheers,
    W.

50 miles is a long distance yes, but still it is a very nice ride.

I was looking at SS due to the simplicity, low maintenance and it would be of benefit to my health.
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • Hi,
    OK, cool. I usually commute on one of two fixies- a nice light one when the weather's OK and a cheap hack for winter. I'm on the hack today :-( It's chucking it down...

If you can cope with your commute on one of your current gears, then you're sussed. Before I went fixed I spent a few weeks commuting without changing gear, then took the mechs off and shortened the chain. When I committed to fixed I found it was actually easier than SS because I wasn't having to push to prove I could spin the gear. That wouldn't be an issue for you, though, unless you go for fixed (which sounds like it would either get you seriously fit or kill you!).

Have a look at the Rabbit calculator to see equivalent ratios to what you have:

http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/ ... pplet.html

Let's say you can do the commute on your current 52x21. That's what I would call a '66 inch' gear (on a 700x28c, my tyre of choice). Set the sprocket button and you can see that a 40T chainring gives you the same gear ratio with the 16T in your SS kit.

Personally, if I were in your shoes I'd probably look at a hub gear. A simple 3-speed hub on a drop-bar road bike is an unusual sight but I think it would be much easier on a long, hilly commute than the SS and be significantly lower maintenance than a derailleur setup. Just a thought.

Cheers,
    W.