SPD Cleats Set up To prevent Injuries

maxcars1
maxcars1 Posts: 33
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Im getting back into cycling after 25 years away :0 Im concerned about fitting these cleats but I know they are the way forward. Does anyone know where I can get them set up professionally ie LBS within 30 miles of NG31 7LY Grantham or is anyone close by that is willing to help for a cupper and bickies:) I just dont want to end up with knee or any othe rleg problems as I keen to ramp up the miles very quickly. Looking around theres some Fastfit kit they use isnt there?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read of the setting up of SPD's on parktools.

Also are you going SPD or Time?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Try a pair of the multi-release cleats and back the pedal tension right off.

This will allow your feet/knees to float but still stay in contact with the pedals when pulling up.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Please note that the SPD multi release cleats still have the same float as the single release.

but release in more positions. and the release tension is only that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    nicklouse wrote:
    Please note that the SPD multi release cleats still have the same float as the single release.
    They do ? Mine must be knackered :)
  • Hi Guys

Im using Shimano 540 SPD with Specialized Works MTB shoes. I accept that i'm having to get used to the cleats having come from toe clips/straps in my days. My main concern is the stories I read about injuries to joints, so thats why i was looking at the shoes/cleats being set up on the pedals correctly. I just dont want to be off the bike when Im so eager to achieve my goals.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    speeds have a LOT of float unlike most road pedals get it approx right (ball of foot over axle, shoes in line with bike (unless you have a toed in gate or splayed gate) a little clearance to the cranks and agjust from there
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    The advice I was given about fittting SPD cleats or similar was to sit on a table with the underside of your thighs fully supported and your lower leg allowed to hang free (i.e without hitting the floor). The cleat should be fitted under the ball of the foot (on the shoe obviously!!) as BUGLY says above but if you look down on your dangling feet you will see that one or both feet may appear to turn in towards your body centreline or away from it. Take this angle into consideration when positioning the angle of the cleat (rotated slightly left or right accordingly) on the underside of your shoe as this is the natural angle for your feet to take and should therefore prevent any problems with knees, ankles being injured by being 'clipped' in the wrong position. Don't be scared to experiment with moving the cleat backwards or forwards from the 'ball of foot' position - I was also advised that if you like to 'spin' your cranks you can have the cleat in a slightly forward position and likewise, if you are a 'grinder' (slow rotation in a bigger gear) you have the cleat slightly to the rear of the ball of the foot (takes excess strain away from your achilles and calves).

You are more likely to be injured in one of the compulsory "comedy falls at low speed" than you are from cleat positioning unless you do big mileages.

Shimano SPD (520 or 540's) are a good start with multi-release cleats and low spring tension. It doesn't matter which shoes you have as long as they accept a 2-bolt cleat (most MTB type shoes are this way).

Practice clipping and unclipping holding onto something immovable, progress onto a soft-ish surface like grass (hurts less than a comedy fall under a lorry of in a rock garden) then the world is your oyster as it becomes second nature!!

Have fun and hope this helps a little.