New boy in need of some opinions!

Turbodave
Turbodave Posts: 6
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Evening...

Yup, new to this and hopefully I won't bore you with the usual questions! In a nutshell I'm in need of a new mountain bike for doing some trail riding, a little on road work and some general dicking around. Set myself a budget of around £450 tops and with that, been doing as much research as I can both on line and in local shops.

Unfortunately not being that clued up on what constitutes a decent spec, I usually end up getting massively confused trying to compare one bike against another "...is that mech and shock better than that one, but then that one has bigger discs and is lighter and arrrgh..." You get the picture!

One bike I did find in my local Edinburgh Bike Co-op was this:

00009471.jpg

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c002909

And well... it appears (to a novice) to be not too bad? I can live without a posh name, so the Revolution tag doesn't bother me. I compared it to a similar specced Specialized in the shop and it did seem to offer as much as the Specilized, but at a reduced cost? Im thinking Heinz beans and Branston beans.... same stuff, different price?

Anyways, really just after some opions on the Revolution Triad 3.0 and or maybe a better/cheaper alternative? One thing though, I prefer to go in and buy the bike so mail order etc doesn't appeal... so I suppose that limits my choice given the availability of certain brands around here. Also, may have a influence but I'm 6ft 1in and weigh about 14st.

Cheers in advance guys/girls!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hello and welcome,

You are doing the right thing by buying from a shop rather than mail order as can try the bike and get the right size.

The one you mention is very good for the money, one of thes best. May not have got the 27 gears some do at this price, but a much better fork that will make more of a difference.

If you like it, I'd get it!
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Top spec bike for the money and it's light also.
    Don't hesitate buy it, because not many bikes come with Juicy 3 and Tora at that price range.
  • Xtreem wrote:
    Top spec bike for the money and it's light also.
    Don't hesitate buy it, because not many bikes come with Juicy 3 and Tora at that price range.
    ...if it fits of course :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    The spec looks pretty good to me - AND a Merida frame! Good buy IMHO.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Appreciate the input folks...

Looks like this will be arriving at the end of the month.

Only issue is now finding a way of getting it in or on the car without wrecking it, the car that is. Already have a Sarris Bones carrier which is excellent on the hatchback, but the saloon... I fear the way the top straps clips on the boot lid will put a hell of alot of strain on the car, especially with a couple of bikes hanging over the back.

Anybody know if I can mount the feet on the bootlid and bumper, but run the top straps into the rear doors... ie so all the weight bearing down on them is on the cars frame and not the boot lid like it's meant to go. It's that or a roofrack but that adds a fair ammount of expense to the equation.

And yes I could cycle instead but lets walk before we run, or in this case... drive before we cycle!

Cheers again.
  • Nice Shops EB Co-operative, and nice own label bikes - looks like a good choice !

You mention a hatchback - can't you take that car, rear seats folded flat should give you enough space to get the bike in (with the front wheel removed) ? No need for a rack and your new bike will still be clean when you get home !
  • Been looking into this further and pretty much set on the Revolution, seems alot of similar spec'd bikes command higher prices simply due to the badge they are wearing. I don't need anything too flash but my shortlist was: front shocks, disc brakes, lightness and availability and the Trid seems to tick the most boxes for me. Going into my local branch tommorrow for a wee test ride, and maybe to be bum raped for a few hundred quid!

Transportation wise... the hatchback isn't ideal, it'd do for getting it home but for taking the bike to the likes of Glen Tress or into the Highlands, I'd need to use the bigger car especially if a couple of mates are coming along. We're going to have a trial fit with the Sarris Bones tommorrow too, they can fit it whilst I pace bacwards and forwards screaming "WATCH MY PAINT!!!" But, can see a roof carrier being the only option.

Advice/opinions apprciated folks, was the clincher I needed to seal the deal
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    A happy ending in sight, then!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • just bought 2 of these (one for me and one for missus) and they are great !

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=129
  • I can get the Revolution for about the same cash, so that's the one I'm going for. Had a wee bit experience with last years Combi disc and thought the front shock was a bit basic and soft, to the point I could almost bottom it out with my weight over the bars. Plus it's mail order and hmmm, just not a fan of that. Pity as I kinda liked them, nice bikes but just think the Revolution offers more for the cash... I think...

Appreciate the input though...
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Have you seen the co-op bike in the flesh? I was a bit disapointed when I looked at them with the mrs, they all seemed to look a bit slapdash.
  • Yes mate...

Went in today and ordered the Triad 3.0. I went in thinking I'd need a 20" frame (my old bike is an 18" and is too small) but they only had an 18" on dispaly... which I took for a shot regardless and it was fine, feels alot bigger than my current bike perhaps due to a longer cross bar or the higher bars, who knows. But the 18" felt fine plus any bigger the comfort zone between ones bollocks and the frame could be too close for comfort.

Also, when turning I was almost at full stretch so any bigger and I felt I'd be getting pulled off the sadle trying to turn... and given the fact most riding will be off road then the 18" suited me best. Overal, impressed with it... test bike looked like it's seen alot of abuse but nice bike, plus having looked round the shop nothing else came near it for spec/money.

I did buy What Mountain Bike and there's a review of the next Triad up the range and it seems to be a good one, so it's little brother should suit my needs fine. One of those things there will always be something bigger/better/cheaper out there but I'm not very patient and I don't do mail order, so that's that! Didn't think they were slapdash, only thing I wasn't keen on was the plastic chainwheel protector thing and the bars seemed remarkably wide but that can be changed.

Well shall see... should be ready in a week