Braveheart ride

saf4254201
saf4254201 Posts: 153
I see Millar and Cav are guesting this year - is Mr Kelly otherwise engaged this year ??

Always a good course (can we just get some sunshine for once !!!)

for details see www.braveheartfund.com

Comments

• Keanocp
    Keanocp Posts: 60
    Still undecided about going due to galeforce winds and torrential rain, half expected to see it cancelled on the website this morning.

Will any of the pros in attendance be mad enough to go out in this Chris Hoy, Mark Cavendish, Thor Hushovd, Sean Kelly (surely), Dan Martin, David Millar, Scott Sunderland, Hendrik Redant and Graeme Obree.

Thinking I might just go for the 20 mile route, if they even allow us to head out.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Well I bloused out of it!

I'm in work at the minute in Glasgow and the thought of what it must be like up on the Fenwick Moors doesn't bear thinking about :o
  • same here grantus - the wind was bad enough in Bo'ness this morning that I pulled out - had to head to East Kilbride this afternoon and the rain was horrendous. Hats off to anyone that ventured out from Kilmarnock this morning.

Strathclydes finest have also found a dead body so route has been altered as well
  • Keanocp
    Well I did go and I completed the longer route, felt I had to when my 6 year old said "Lance wouldn't have quit"

Worst conditions I've ever cycled in and hope I don't experience anything like that ever again. It was hard enough staying upright with the cross winds and driving rain over the Fenwick moors, but when we headed south for Stewarton and started climbing I nearly ground to a complete stop. It was just a relentless slog into the wind for the next 20 miles.

Never been so glad to complete a route and what a great feeling of satisfaction to have managed it in those conditions,

Highlight of the day had to be getting Chris Hoy's autograph for my son and a brilliant picture with him.

4 Braveheart rides and 4 terrible days of weather. Well at least next year can only be better!
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Keanocp wrote:
    Well I did go and I completed the longer route, felt I had to when my 6 year old said "Lance wouldn't have quit"
    !

No he would have had all his team protect him.

There's your reply for next year... :lol:

Well done anyway 8)
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    If it was as windy there as it was here (>70mph) your mad!

Nah, really, well done for braving it.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Keanocp
    http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/

Sean Kelly decided to take the "easy" option :shock:

Sean Kelly Palmares

Tour de France: Green Jersey 4 times
    Vuelta: Overall 1988
    Paris-Nice: 7 Wins
    Paris-Roubaix: 2 wins
    Liege-Bastogne-Liege: 2 wins
    Milan-Sanremo: 2 wins
    Braveheart Ride: 4 attempts, completed only 2 (mechanical last year)

Keano Palmares

4 Braveheart rides: Completed all 4 :lol:
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    I was so happy to get back to the venue.

It probably should have been cancelled as it was so dangerous, or at least the route being seriously shortened to a Crit around the car park. Still the decision to ride was ours to take...and as I'd said to Mr Suze "common sense and cycling don't always go hand in hand"...We rode.... :roll:

It's got to be the hardest few hours I've ever spent riding a bike. (I've been riding 30 years) It was on par with the snow storm on Fleet moss one easter tour.

Yesterday I found half of the Scottish water sloshing around in my rims.... :(
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • suze wrote:
    I was so happy to get back to the venue.

It probably should have been cancelled as it was so dangerous, or at least the route being seriously shortened to a Crit around the car park. Still the decision to ride was ours to take...and as I'd said to Mr Suze "common sense and cycling don't always go hand in hand"...We rode.... :roll:

It's got to be the hardest few hours I've ever spent riding a bike. (I've been riding 30 years) It was on par with the snow storm on Fleet moss one easter tour.

Yesterday I found half of the Scottish water sloshing around in my rims.... :(

after 47yrs on a bike I questioned my sanity on saturday as I headed out on the longer ride! I did survive and did manage to do the longer ride but it was a hard day at the office. At one point i was in 34x25 into the headwind and there were riders walking because they could not stay on their bikes.
    The rest of the day was much better - a hot bath, a sleep in the venue where the dinner was being held and then a very late night in the bar along with several top past and current Pro's. :D
  • trisue
    trisue Posts: 1
    Having travelled 150 miles to do the ride, my husband and our 2 friends had to give it a go but how tough was that!

As a 54 year old Gran, I feel so chuffed to finish the 20 mile route. My friend kept singing,'if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands' as we fought into the wind so we were bordering on hysterical. You had to laugh.

I'm well proud of my other half who got his 1 year old knee replacement round the long ride.

It's our 2nd Braveheart and we'll probably come back next year - can't get any worse.
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    trisue wrote:
    Having travelled 150 miles to do the ride, my husband and our 2 friends had to give it a go but how tough was that!

As a 54 year old Gran, I feel so chuffed to finish the 20 mile route. My friend kept singing,'if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands' as we fought into the wind so we were bordering on hysterical. You had to laugh.

I'm well proud of my other half who got his 1 year old knee replacement round the long ride.

It's our 2nd Braveheart and we'll probably come back next year - can't get any worse.

well done trissue those were tough conditions the braveheart fund is worth supporting though
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    trisue wrote:

Well done you.... You're probably right about in getting any worse than that.

The talk in the changing rooms was about one thing, " it being the hardest day on a bike for many experienced riders"

Well done again :D
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style