TT - Rims or Frame

Giant Phil
Giant Phil Posts: 116
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hi there

Having started Time trialling at the local club a few times, after me and a mate cycled Lands End to John O'Groats. I want to get geared up for the coming 10 mile, and 25 mile championships season, which starts in April at the local club.

I already have a road bike, aero helmet, skinsuit etc, and was wondering what people would recomment getting next. Either a TT frame and bars, and run my Shimano 105 rims, and Tiagra groupset on that. Or get some new tubular aero rims, and possibly some TT bars to run on my road frame? I know both would be Idea, but Im not packed with cash, and am looking for an economic solution, for the first few months of racing, that would get my times down the most.

Regards

Phil
Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.

Comments

• Cost wise you will get better aerodynamics with an aero bar set-up. Then have a look at getting some secondhand aero wheels - 50mm and above section are a good all round choice. This should set you up nicely for your club events. Then if the bug bites (which it will!) think about getting an aero frame.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Your position is everything. The wheels etc are details so you need aero bars and a good position (loads of articles about what that is). If your current frame allows you to get as low and flat backed as is comfortably possible then no need to change. Trouble is that it'll may be useless as an everyday road bike by then.
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    Definitely get the aero bars. Get some clip ons (around £40) - that way you can take them off and still use the road bike as a road bike. I also found a seatpost made by profile which is especially for using your road bike as a TT bike, it alters the angle slightly allowing the seat to be more closer to the handle bars than normal which is better for TTing. I'll try and dig a link out.

I too would love a TT bike but am putting off the desire to splash out on one until I feel that I cannot improve any further on my road bike. It takes time, but it is addictive. Unless your bike is truly holding you back I say save the money and adapt your bike. If you really wanna blast the money then get some nice wheels, you can always transport them to your next bike.
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    heres the link.
    Profile Fast Forward

I think there are carbon fibre versions available - but obviously they are far more expensive. personally I really like this stem. Before I was using it I found that I was sitting right on the point of the saddle as I tired, this way I get the same position without destroying my prospects of becoming a father one day :)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Bars, then wheels, then frame. This assumes that you are able to get a decent position on the bike, if not then you might need to look into adjustable stems
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Hi all, thanks for your imput.

There are a few things I didn't make obvious, and I apolgise for that.

Firstly, I have clip on Tri-bars already. I want to go for the proper bars, base, and tri bar setup, with profile breaks and bar end shifters. Secondly, I am currently using a 100mm Ritchey adjustable stem, and it is as low as it will go.

Trouble is, I do want to be able to use my bike for day to day road biking. I use it alot for getting into, and around town, and too rugby matches, etc. I don't know what having a proper aerobar setup would make that too difficult? any thoughts?

Phil
    Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.