Which Hybrid?

guichoke
guichoke Posts: 4
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hello guys, total beginner thinking of getting a hybrid bike. I am leaning towards mainly road use, but would like the option to take it off road, or at least not destroy it by hitting a curb!

I will be using the ride to work scheme which limits me to the Evans range only, price range of under £900.

I would really appriciate any help at all, Im totally stuck.

Thanks so much

Comments

• I wouldn't spend £900 quid on a hybrid

Either get a road bike for £600 and spend the rest on a hybrid, or if you will definitely be going off road, get a cyclocross

a £900 pound hybrid will be a compromise on and off the road

I got a hybrid, thinking the same as you, but now mainly use my ancient old boneshaker of a road bike while I wait for Bike to Work to come in at our place
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    wiffachip wrote:
    I wouldn't spend £900 quid on a hybrid

Either get a road bike for £600 and spend the rest on a hybrid, or if you will definitely be going off road, get a cyclocross

a £900 pound hybrid will be a compromise on and off the road

I got a hybrid, thinking the same as you, but now mainly use my ancient old boneshaker of a road bike while I wait for Bike to Work to come in at our place
    I would agree, though I guess you cant but two bikes simultaneously on the scheme. Go for a road bike or cyclocross.

It is best to avoid bumping up kerbs anyway (going down them is okay). I have a road bike and it is quite okay for the odd ride on a canal path or other track, providing the tyres are good quality and properly inflated. You can fit fatter tyres (28's) to offer a bit more compliance and protection if necessary.

If you are commuting and / or want to use it year round, get one with mudguard clearance and fittings, many sub £1k road bikes do, and most cyclocross will.
  • so what are the benefits of a cyclo cross vs a hybrid and which one should I go for? The range is much more limited
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    the term Hybrid covers a range of bikes really, at one end they are mtb frames with 26 inch wheels with maybe narrower more road friendly tyres, and with (waste of time) or without suspension. At the other end of the spectrum they can be pretty much just flat barred versions of road bikes with 700c wheels. The latter will obviously be faster on the road than the former (weight, components, riding position). A road bike with drop bars gives the best on-road performance with better ride position for speed, lightweight frame and components, and narrow slick tyres.

A cyclocross bike looks just like a road bike with dropped bars, but it has clearance for fatter tyres to allow for off-roading. The frame and forks are likely to be a bit beefier than a road frame, they are likely to have V brakes, mini V's, Canti or disc brakes (also to allow for fatter tyres), and may well have mounts for mudguards and racks. As such they can make excellent all-rounders, some of the benefits of both a fast road bike, light tourer, off road bike. As a commuter the mudguard and rack mounts are very useful. They will not perform quite as well as a pure road bike but they won't lag far behind with slick tyres fitted.

I suppose it's all down to personal preference, some people prefer flat barred hybrids, but many seem to start there and soon want to get a proper road bike when they get a taste for road riding.
  • Save ya money and get a road bike or crosser. I started out with a Hybrid and the best I can say for it is that it made me yearn for a roadbike. A roadbike isn't going to fall apart if you hit a kerb but then you want to be worrying about wheels not bikes. Besides there's no real need to be kerb hopping anyway unless you plan on adopting a "mount the pavement" style of riding which I'd advise against doing...
  • I think that settles it then, road bike or forever regretting not going the whole way.

You know it makes sense...... then you can wear lycra!!!