Starting out clothing

speed_12
speed_12 Posts: 23
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hey all!

After a 5 year absence from mountain biking (due to my bike being nicked and being a poor student and having no money to buy a new one...ugh), I now have a new bike and am ready to get back into it properly!

As the title suggests, this question is about clothing. I know this is obviously down to personal preference, but I was just wondering what people thought would be a good start? As its coming up to winter, my current thoughts are:

- 3/4 lengths (hate riding in trousers but want a bit of extra warmth!)
- S/S Jersey
- Base layer top of some description
- Windproof jacket (I have a decent, thin Berghaus waterproof I can use if its wet)
- Shoes and socks (I'll more than likely put some SPD's on at some point and have no real other trainers I could use so may as well get some now!)

I realise winter riding is all about layering, so the idea would be:

- Normal autumn day - base and jersey
- A bit nippier - base or jersey and windproof
- Cold - base, jersey and windproof

Does that make sense? The base layer thing and when/where to wear it is the bit thats confusing the most!

Yeah, thats about it. So does that seem like about a half decent list? If anyone has any suggestions for stuff then fire away. I'm willing to spend a bit of money as I am serious about getting back into it properly, but to assure anyone, I am definitely not a throw loads of money at it to "get better" type of person, I just want some decent stuff that will do the job properly!

So yeah, if anyone has any suggestions etc then go for it!

Comments

• I too would be interested in any answers you guys have to offer.

Without wishing to hijack, I always find I freeze due to the wind for the first 5 minutes and then boil for the rest of the ride, I don't seem to own anything that gives me a good halfway point.

Also, iIs there any point in protecting against rain, and is Gortex actually as breathable and waterproof as it's supposed to be? Are there any budget versions or should I just get soaked and deal with it.
    Welcome, to my bonesaw!
  • Good questions, cheers for adding them!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Base layer, insulating layer, and windproof, waterproof breathable jacket. Don't have to spend a fortune. The layered approach allows you to mix anfd match for th conditions. Look for other brands away from cycling too for better deals.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Clothing is the bit that I've lagged behind on a bit, I'd rather spend money on metal and plastic things than clothes.

However, I'm beginning to run out of shiny things that I can justify buying (having to break things now before I can buy new better ones :twisted: ) I'm now improving my cycling wardrobe.

My two penneth

Most important thing when riding is to stay warm followed by dry. Both is the ideal but personally I can cope as long as my core is warm and my extremities are dry/warm.

For winter riding I'd recommend some waterproof boots, best buy I've made so far has been a pair of MW02 Shimano Gortex winter boots (been using them most of the summer too). Keep my feet pretty dry even when standing in ankle deep water like yesterday, 35 miles into a 45 mile ride, thought of finishing that with sloshing feet makes me go cold).

Next on my list would be a good breathable jacket, again more for warmth than to keep dry, if it stops the wind it'll keep you warm even if you are wet underneath which is nearly always the case however breathable the fabric is.

I've also bought some base layers, Northface ones, they're pretty comfortable but not exceptionally better than basic T shirts in cold weather IMHO.

For extra insulation over the base layer I've got some cheap thinish long sleeve walking type tops which are fine and some very thin fleece tops (emphasis on the very thin).

Probably the most important buy though is the shorts or 3/4 length trousers. I'm using Endura Humvee shorts and liners at the moment and may well consider getting a pair of the 3/4 length ones in the winter. I've also ridden in Ron Hill tracksters, lycra padded shorts underneath and baggies over the top.

Don't forget winter gloves if you're riding in the real cold, again keep the extremities warm, Endura Dexters did me last winter. Then swap to something lighter in the spring.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • gazvenn
    gazvenn Posts: 121
    currently after a decent wind/waterproof jacket myself aswell, been looking around but really can't justify spending about £100 at the moment.
  • gazvenn - Some decent Paramo stuff goes on eBay for about £30-40, maybe check those out?
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Pretty much agree with what Stumpy said.

Gloves - Sealskins Technical are lovely and warm. You also may want a skull cap of some form to keep the old noggin warm on colder days.

However, also consider bibtights either long or 3/4 length (with shorts over the top) as you need to keep the knee joints warm in winter. DHB do some good value ones http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_Merston_3~4_Bib_Tights/5360031776/
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    gazvenn wrote:
    currently after a decent wind/waterproof jacket myself aswell, been looking around but really can't justify spending about £100 at the moment.
    Have a look at the Endura Laser £40. Incredibly breathable, windproof and waterproof. Recommended.

Speed_12 - have a look at Helly Hansen base layers. Man-made fibres are good at wicking but need regular washing. Merino wool is odour-resistant but doesn't wick so well. Altura do some good entry-level shorts without busting the bank and IMO Shimano make the best shoes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's a lot to be said for army surplus I think... My winter jacket for the last decade has been an ancient german goretex army jacket which I bought in Camden for a tenner, then cut the horrible sweaty lining out of. It's fairly breathable, a good windstopper and completely waterproof. I'd like a more breathable jacket but I've never been that impressed by "proper" biking gear I've borrowed. it's not exactly warm but it's ideal for layering up.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Aldi's stuff is not too bad for the money and they have stuff in from this Thursday (18th). The winter gloves are the DB's for the money and at their prices you can almost have a fresh set of stuff for every day of the week. I have a couple of their waterproofs and they're not bad either.
  • Anyone got, or could recommend, a decent wind/water proof light jacket? My budget is poor so will only be scouring eBay for a bargain, but want to know what's good or not. Endura ok? Berghaus? Fox? Element II? Paramo are, I know, and may stretch to those if I cant find something a little better...styled :roll: :wink:

Still waiting for a donation Surf Matt, lol!
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    .blitz wrote:
    Have a look at the Endura Laser £40. Incredibly breathable, windproof and waterproof. Recommended.
    I've also got a Berghaus jacket that has more 'features' but after many washes the white coating on the inside of shell has started to flake and it looks like it's covered in dandruff :wink:
  • .blitz wrote:
    .blitz wrote:
    I've also got a Berghaus jacket that has more 'features' but after many washes the white coating on the inside of shell has started to flake and it looks like it's covered in dandruff :wink:
    Thanks 8)
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    If you are starting back up, best advice is to actually start cheap (doesnt mean low quality) ALDI and LIDL do some very good clothing, and you are in luck as the ALDI Specials start tomorrow (18/9/08) and have LS Jerseys, bottoms, jackets etc.

I have the Crane High Viz jacket from ALDI and its been superb for 2 years now! (for less than a tenner!) Seriously go and look at the gear, you will be very surprised.

Once you get out and about more you will get to know what you *really* need and what you are willing to pay the extra money for.

There really is no need to spend some of the ridiculous prices some cycle clothing is.

Ebay is also a good place to look for a bargain.

My personal tip is to spend most money on a decent waterproof jacket, one that breathes well, better jackets start at approx £50 and go up into the couple of hundreds. Once your outer layer is sorted, inner layers can be sorted with some very basic clothing.

Ive been MTBing "properly" now for 2 years, and I have no shame in riding in my £4.99 LIDL jersey! It works just as well as something 4 times that price and I dont give two hoots if I rip or snag it on a tree as its cheap!
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I actually quite like my 4.99 LIDL jersey. its got a half zip and everything.

Whilst I wear a baselayer, put a thin microfleece in my bag, and wear a waterproof softshell jacket which is very windproof (Protective Kashi), I always find I am warm enough to never need the fleecy (except one particularly snowy adventure in the cairngorms!)

For feet, a pair of sealskinz mid socks are my thing.....alright even if water does get in the top, due to not wearing waterproof trousers over them, my feet stay warm....reckon its the wetsuit effect, but you do have to put up with the squelching, so the water doesn't come out!

Whatever you do....get a buff. does loads of things in various configurations. Must have purchase and happily not a very expensive one either.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Bmjboy
    While I remember, dont buy unbranded SPD shoes if you go that route, go for a well known brand and be sure to buy at least 1 size bigger than your actual foot size.

• cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Bmjboy wrote:
    While I remember, dont buy unbranded SPD shoes if you go that route, go for a well known brand and be sure to buy at least 1 size bigger than your actual foot size.

Well... depends on your feet really. I'm 43 normal shoes, 43 Specialized summer SPD shoes and 43 SIDI winter SPD boots. Try on if you can, or ensure if ordering over t'interweb that you can return / exchange (you will almost certainly be able to - that's the law - but may have to pay postage and/or restocking fee).
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • sirmy
    sirmy Posts: 67
    Belphegor wrote:
    Without wishing to hijack, I always find I freeze due to the wind for the first 5 minutes and then boil for the rest of the ride, I don't seem to own anything that gives me a good halfway point.

One of the best pieces of advice I was given many years ago while hill walking in winter was that you should be cold standing in the carpark before setting off. This ensures you're no overdressed and saves removing clothing later or overheating. Raising and lowering zips is still the most effective way of regulating temperature on the move
  • I'm very much at the poor end of the scale. I use old tracksuit bottoms, and I have a golf waterproof jacket with removeable sleeves that I use. If it's really cold, I wear a light jumper under the jacket. I look like a total loser when I'm out with others who have decent gear on.
    http://stcolin.pinkbike.com

BeOne Aspire 1.0
    RS Recon Race Air Solo 100mm
    Raceface XC and Easton
    Mavic 321, DT Swiss spokes, XT hubs
    Panaracer Rampage SC's
  • Bmjboy
    Just got back from ALDI (my local store was quite sparse) but the Jackets and Jerseys look pretty good.

I bought a L/S Jersey for £6.99, it looked like a baggy style jersey as it had some rad styling on the shoulders, but its a skinny fit, Im not majorly bothered, but its pretty good quality.

You cold probably get a normal top and bottoms for less than £15 in there.

• I wear a combination of these depends how cold and wet.
    iwear a buff on my head and helmet
    wick away tshirt, a tshirt ,micro fleece (north face) and windproof water resistant outer jacket (NORTH FACE)
    deepends how cold it is but i will either wear my paramo windproof water proof trousers these have side zips to let out heat or normal walking trousers but am going to get some 3/4 lenghts
    windproof water proof gloves
    I enjoy hikeing as well as cycling so i use my clothes for both. I beleive karrimor have a cycling range of clothes if you want clothes speciffacly for cycling.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Got pretty much 1 of everything in the Aldi offer, cant compare it to other stuff but IMO its really decent stuff especially for the price! 8)
    Cheers, Stu
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Aldi Jerseys, winter jackets (bit fleecy and kinda wind prrof on teh front) , base layers and socks are ace value for money.

Outside of the Biking world, regatta do some top notch base layers for next to nothing.

One word of warngin DO NOT scrimp on shorts as badly fitting, poorly padded shorts will ruin your ride quicker than anything else, on that front I use Fox or Endura, pricey but bloody good