Riders in the Cleckheaton (West Yorkshire) Area

cherysg
cherysg Posts: 13
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
hellooo.

Do we have any riders in the local cleckheaton area?
If so does anyone know of any local trails in this area?

cheers
Chris
Azonic DS2

Comments

• Hi from sunny Dewsbury!!!

Best local thing is probably the greenway, you probably know about it living in Cleck.
    If you have a car, there is Wharncliffe only 30 minutes away, and so is Stainburn. Other than local woods if there are any near you.

I have some local woods but they are very small, and not worth the effort really.
  • i-drive
    i-drive Posts: 527
    there is a regular weds night ride from holmfirth or i go out every sunday .plenty of trails i could show you.
  • stucowp
    stucowp Posts: 11
    Hi there guys don't mean to hijack the post i'm based in tingley and i'm looking for rides to go on just need some company and local knowledge! not been here long and been off the steed for 10 years!!!!! Don't worry i'm not grandad only 31!
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    i'm from Clayton West near Hudds. Plenty of riding to be done around look hard enough. fotunately for me I can leave home and within 10-15 mins be on some nice singletrack and fireroads. need to broaden my horizons a bit though and look further afield
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • I'm from Wakefield, Coxley Valley's not far from you (other side of Middlestown), you could follow the canal from Dewsbury and come off at Horbury Bridge.

You can follow the canal right over to the other side of the City too, then pick up the Trans Pennine trail (Normanton & Stanley Ferry), or there's a good route around Newmiller Dam & Winterset reservoir that I got of these boards.
  • From Cawthorne, near Barnsley and im looking to meet up with some local cyclists - im really new to the MTB scene and im using it as a way to keep fitness up in winter months as i tend to just vegitate when the cricket season stops.
  • Rich9
    Oz. Cawthorne's not far from me at all. Have you been up to Deffer Woods? Its usually where i go on Sunday mornings. Just up the the road from you
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Im going to Deffers tommorow :)

I never knew what it was actually called so i had to google it and realised i've had a fair few adventures in that wood.

I got a 09 Avalanche 3.0 last night (wanted 08 1.0 but Mrs begged me to not spend more than £350 so it was either 3.0 or Tyax Elite) did 13 miles on it when i got home and have been nursing a sore tush all day today :lol:

ill be going up Deffers tommorow probably early, thats if my arse doesnt scream when i get on the saddle :oops:
  • Rich9
    i'll be up there fairly early-ish too. reckon about 8 ish. i'll be going in from top end on Hollins House Lane. I guess you'll go in from Cannon Hall side

Me - Red jacket, Black Cube with red side wall tires
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Alright ill keep an eye out for you, ill probably head up there about 8-9ish and head home about midday (depending on weather).

No idea what ill be wearing :lol:
  • Got there about 10:15am, i went in the Hollin House way but didnt manage to see ya Rich, we'll have to swap mobile numbers next time :)
  • Rich9
    i went out about 8.30, but decided to go a different way. Went up through Denby Dale and turned up towards the Dunkirk pub. Down a short bridleway, and you can enter Deffer Woods in the bottom corner. I bashed around Deffer for about an hour at a guess then rode upto the Hollins House Road entrance and back home. 16 miles in total. I'll probably be out again next Sunday, so I'll PM you my number or summat
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • So whats deffer woods like, it is just trails or are there jumps, looks like a god dam labyrinth on google earth, is it flat - just cant tell from he air.

I've been trying to find a route from Wakefield that keeps me off the roads as much as possible, I was thinking out past New Miller Dam, past Wolley into Bretton, then on through High Hoyland to Deffer. I wanted to give it a go this weekend but my misses beat me to Saturday morning off, pity too cause its going to be a cold one and I love rinding on cold clear days.
  • Rich9
    Mainly fire roads, plenty of mud at the moment and quite hilly. Some reasonable single track if you know where to look. It is a labyrinth. i've been going almost every week for about 2 months and still keep getting lost!
    2014 Whyte T-129S