Tick, tick ??

mihangel
mihangel Posts: 15
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Help please...my Giant SCR2 has developed a ticking or clicking noise that seems to come from the crank/bottom bracket area and in time with cadence .... it's driving me crazy. It only does it when I'm on the bike and pedalling. Turning the pedals on the workstand doesn't replicate it. The bike is only a few weeks old. I've checked for any obvious fouling of cables, chainrings, deraileurs etc. but nothing there.

Thanks.

Comments

• Grease the seatpin and shim, see if that makes a difference. Also check tigthness of saddle rails.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    mihangel wrote:
    Help please...my Giant SCR2 has developed a ticking or clicking noise that seems to come from the crank/bottom bracket area and in time with cadence .... it's driving me crazy. It only does it when I'm on the bike and pedalling. Turning the pedals on the workstand doesn't replicate it. The bike is only a few weeks old. I've checked for any obvious fouling of cables, chainrings, deraileurs etc. but nothing there.

Thanks.

Got exactly the same problem on my Giant SCR2!!!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    mihangel wrote:

Thanks.

Got exactly the same problem on my Giant SCR2!!!

Same advice for you then :wink:

May be wrong, but I had a similar problem ona Giant OCR a few years back. Drive me mad until I founf it was a dry seatpin/shim (you need to take the shim out and grease both sides).
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Mmmmmm...interesting gabriel.

Slow Downpc...thanks, will try tomorrow first thing and get back to you both. Would be great if it was that...had bad dreams of bearing problems!!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I thought it was the bearings too, I couldn't replicate it on the workstand either, I thought it was just my imagination and yes, do let me know if its that (although I don't even know what the seatspin and the rails are I can picture it!)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Seatpin is the bit that holds the seat and fits into the frame. The saddle rails are the two bars that are part of the saddle and hold the saddle to the seatpin...I think?
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    Cleat bolts ?

I had a tapping clicking noise once, and it turned out that I the cleat bolts needed 'nipping up'...
  • I had an annoying clicking noise which turned to be because the nut attaching the Schrader valve to the wheel was loose...
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    If it is in synch with pedalling it is definitely worth removing the pedals (15mm spanner) , greasing and then nipping them up tight. Same with cranks though details vary with what you have.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • +1 for tightening the pedals. I had to listen to a click, click every rotation of the pedals for 90 miles of a 100 mile bike ride. When I got home and checked the bike, one pedal was barely finger tight. Most noises are due to something being loose. Recently I had a creak coming from the forks, all I had to do was tighten the headset bolt.

FCN : 4
  • I have this on my trek. Tightening the pedals has not helped. Cleats will be next on the list.

I've just realised......this could be my most useless post ever!!!!!!!!!!

DM
  • I had this, thought the sound was coming from the bottom bracket, in fact I was certain. It turned out the stem was slightly loose! The reason you may not here it on workstand is because it is from pitting pressure on another area when riding.

Hope this may help.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Remove and refit chain rings - grease the bolts. Check for play in BB, remove re-grease refit, pedals etc.

If you don't have the tools, take it back to the shop as it's new, they will sort it for you !
  • Or it could be a worn chain. How many miles have you done?
  • Got exactly the same problem with my Giant SCR-3. Had it for about 300miles. Anyone solved the problem? There is no play in my BB, and the pedals and cleats are tight.

Phil
    Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I had this problem with my Giant it turned out to be a loose headset. Took it in tightened it up no more sound.. I also could have sworn it was coming from the BB.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    feel wrote:
    If it is in synch with pedalling it is definitely worth removing the pedals (15mm spanner) , greasing and then nipping them up tight. Same with cranks though details vary with what you have.

there seems to be two schools of thought regarding greasing pedal threads and bottom bracket axle tapers.

There is some evidence to suggest that greasing pedal threads can lead to over-tightening and sudden fracture of the end of the crank arm.
    My view is if two mating surfaces move relative to one another then grease them otherwise keep the threads/surfaces clean and dry. :wink:
  • Giant Phil wrote:
    Got exactly the same problem with my Giant SCR-3. Had it for about 300miles. Anyone solved the problem? There is no play in my BB, and the pedals and cleats are tight.

Phil

Does is stop when you pedal out of the saddle? If so it's definitely a dry seatpost and shim.
  • nipon
    nipon Posts: 68
    My wifes scr2 did this,the noise was coming from the seat clamp moving against the stem,i just cranked it up realy tight and it stoped.
  • Slow Down PC - up this morning with the larks and it was still there when I was out of the saddle. So next easiest area was the pedals (original equipment Wellgo clips and straps). When removing the RH pedal I heard a click - my heart skipped a beat. Decided to swap the pedal with one from my Gary Fisher hybrid (bog standard rubber/plastic), back out and PROBLEM SOLVED!! Thanks for the tips.

feel & benvickery - thanks for picking the right spot - now I can get my mind back on enjoying the ride!!

Thanks to everyone else for ideas and shared experiences...good to know there's help out there.
  • When you stand up and pedal does the noise stop? My SCR 1.5 saddle makes the same noise. It sounds a bit like a bering in your BB but it's actually the saddle.

I have ti rails on my mtb saddle so I'm used to the noise so find it easy to ignore on my road bike. A bit of well placed grease should sort it.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • No mate , noise was still there whether sitting or standing. Definitely the pedal (even though I feared the worst - BB bearing), all sorted now, just need to get some decent pedals.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    Grease the seatpin and shim, see if that makes a difference. Also check tigthness of saddle rails.

It may be this if it occurs when you're sitting, if you stand up and it still happens you have probably rulled this out.

If you can cycle in soft soled trainers instead of cycling shoes and it still ocurrs that it's probably not cleat/shoe related either.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    peanut wrote:
    feel wrote:

there seems to be two schools of thought regarding greasing pedal threads and bottom bracket axle tapers.

There is some evidence to suggest that greasing pedal threads can lead to over-tightening and sudden fracture of the end of the crank arm.
    My view is if two mating surfaces move relative to one another then grease them otherwise keep the threads/surfaces clean and dry. :wink:

In my experience dry joints can sieze together over time, or sometimes can come loose and click. If people are unsure about over tightening they should practise with a torque wrench 'til they get the feel 8) . You only tend to strip threads the one time, it's part of the learning experience :wink:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.