Best excersise for weak / crook shoulder and neck

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited September 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I have a weak shoulder and neck, have had physio in the past due to a wonky disc in the upper part of my spine.

Now whenever I go camping, and sleep a bit rough, I get a painful neck and shoulder (it can be either one). Obviously this stops me wanting to get out on the bike which is not good!

Whats the best excersise to build strength up in that region? My physio recommended girly push ups (on knees) while my disc was being pushed back in correctly, but they didnt seem to help too much long term.

I have tried building up my chest as well, but cant do any excersises with machines for shoulders/chest as my movement is quite restricted (pec deck machine makes my scapular move as if it is dislocating).

Am I set for the scrap heap at the grand old age of 30? :twisted:

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I'd be tempted to listen to what your physio tells you to do. I know some of the stuff they ask of you can seem boring and far to simplistic to actually have any effect but in the long term it work.

I had problems in my right knee caused by my hip twisting as I was walking which essentially meant my kneecap was not running straight in my knee and snagging and causing lots of pain and stress in the surrounding muscles and ligaments. 6 months of really REALLY simple exercises and actually doing them every day as she told me and my problems have all gone...amazing people with their understanding of how the human body works

Not seen you on a certain vauxhall forum have I? Username rings a bell...
  • gcwebbyuk
    Thanks Liam, and yes you will have seen me loitering around vvoc.com at some point! 8)
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    Dumbell/barbell shrugs? You'd be in a natural position aswell. Google it to find technique if unsure.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Try pilates - helps build core strength and stability which you urgently need.

Weights could stuff it up even more until the disk is sorted/re-aligned.
    topo Posts: 3,104
    I think you call them military press ups. I call them diamond press ups. Bassically both hands together, make a diamond with your thumbs and 2 fingers and do you press ups like this. This works the shoulders a lot more.

With 2 dumbell's or with barbell, the upward row is good for strengthening your shoulders and also works the neck muscles.
    Also shoulder press with 2 dumbells, pressing them above your head.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Been back to physio today - its a dislocated neck disc again :(

Manipulated it back a bit, so got to wait for the swelling to go down etc before doing any weights etc.

Just trying to stretch it as often as poss. :shock: