Winter - will it knacker your bike?

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I have a low end MTB and a brand new race bike (1k's worth). I want to use the roadie for 80% of commuting journeys but don't want to knacker it. I plan to use the MTB in heavy rain. But I've heard a lot about salt on these forums? What is it that is so bad about it? (abrasive I guess).

Basically, what should I do to best protect my road bike in bad weather - I know the basics about clean>>deagrease>>lubricate. But, is there a best practice procedure for putting your road bike into class A condition at the end of a bad weather ride? And is there a spray/product that I can spray on (particularly to moving parts) to protect from damp?

Cheers

Comments

• Some Mudguards probably wouldn't go amiss.
  • Keep it clean and lubed after each messy ridew and itll be fine however certain components will expire more quickly. Teflon bike spray will keep the frame protected and easier to clean.
  • IMO if you keep it clean and oiled you won't have any problems. The only thing you have to worry is about is those few days a year when It's icy, they usually put grit/salt on the roads and that can knacker your componenents. I ended up using my cheap MTB last Jan/Feb when it was bad.
  • The advice above is ok for wet rides, but salt is in a class of its own!
    Powdered salt gets on your bike and proceeds to get damp. It can do this by absorbing atmospheric moisture. Damp salt plus metal results in rapid corrosion. You probably expect this with steel. It happens with aluminium too! You can quickly lose the shine on alloy components. The remedy is a thorough washdown after use. Then dry and relube as advised.
    Once the gritters have been out the salt is around until the next heavy rain. Theres something to be said for having a winter bike!
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    If you can afford a budget winter bike then clearly that would be better, however I don't think you should be put off using your existing bike in the winter, clean it regularly and keep it well oiled - at the end of the day we still drive our cars in the winter and as long as you maintain them they seem to survive.
  • Keep your (metal) seat post well greased.

I failed to do that a couple of years ago on the 'winter' bike and its still welded solid 'cos of salt corrosion.
    I tried various chemicals but to no avail - good job it's in the right place...
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • Now what has passed for Summer is over, I get the trusty MTB out of hibernation complete with slicks and guards and consign the shiney race bike to club runs only. The amount of grime, salt etc that gets all over the bike and components from the daily commute is amazing. I haven't got time to wash/lube after getting home from work and I wouldn't dare leave it with a week's worth of crud on it. Pedalling 27Ibs of bike is my winter short cut for maintaining bike fitness plus it is better for taking the hammering of our potholed roads in winter.