Any suggestions which child seat ?

Mr*Paul
Mr*Paul Posts: 33
Hi
Is there anyone out there who can shed any light on which child seat to buy ?
...mtb's , road bikes, kit and stuff I know about ! but the time has come to don a child seat onto my trusty hard tail :wink: I have searched the tinternet ...and it appears to be a veritable mine field of child seats ...all of which look to do the same thing :? So I am after the experience of anyone that has dabbled in this subject :)
Thanks
Paul

Comments

• Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    http://www.ibertinc.com/
    Had one for about 8 months now My litle one was just over 2 when we got it and she loves it and so do i. It fits on my hard tail and full susser aswell as the wifes hybrid, its a lot more stable with the weight up front and in the middle,you feel like you can offer more protection to your little one as they are between your arms, as well as being able to talk to them and explain whats going on ect they can also see where they are going and look around at the scenery.
    I'm in Aylesbury Bucks wellcome to pop over and see/try ours out if your near by?
  • Wow :shock: ! That looks radicallly different , I have never seen one like that , where on earth did you get that ? I must say that bar/mount peice of metal doesn't look that strong , but i assume it must be if you've had your two year old on it . Do you not get your teeth knocked out by your little ones helmet with any kind of a bump , the position looks a little odd ? I'll show the wife , and see what she thinks to it ...afterall she's the boss and she still has visions of me taking our little girl DH'ing ...of course I won't be !
    Thanks appreciate your advice :)
    Paul
  • Mark_K
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBERT-SAFETSEAT-C ... 286.c0.m14

But i understand there is a UK seller for them now ?
    I'm only 5"7' and dont get hit by my little ones head (do have to bow legs a little bit but not bad) and she's nearly 3 now and 2Stone+, we have been on some rough woodland single track with her in it and she loves it because she can see whats comming up swooping through the trees over jumps ect.
    Only problem i have found is she falls asleep in i and you have to suport her head with your arm or put a blanket on your handle bars because there is nowhere for her to put her head ! Sounds daft but if we are doing a long run i cary a small blow up travel pillow in my pack for her lol :)
  • Has anyone experience of using this?

http://myweeride.co.uk/?gclid=CJXo3-WG5 ... 1Aod_n2YfA

We're also in the market for a child seat for our nearly-one-year-old. We have a chariot trailer (which has been great), but want another option for more intimate rides, and which will allow us to go on paths and tracks that are too narrow for the trailer. Don't like the idea of rear-mounted seats at all, so either the 'myweeride' or the ibert safe-t-seat look good options!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I have the Hamax Kiss rear-carrier and have no complaints and my 13month old son loves going for a ride.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Mark_K
    That WeRide looks good not used or see one in the flesh though ?
    I can tell you this much i have use many rear mounted seats for my kids but after using the Ibert safe-t-seat i would NEVER go back to using a rear mount seat, the front mount changed the way the whole family use's their bike's its that much nicer to use for everyone involved :) And no i dont work for i-Bert lol
  • We've just ordered the ibert safe-t-seat ... the best deal I saw, for getting it in the UK, is here

http://www.tinyexperience.co.uk/

£54.95 + £12.50 p+p. They deliver the next day ... can't wait to get it and try it with our nearly one year old daughter!
  • Mark_K
    Let me know what you think Kevin !
    If anyone is at freewheel and spots a Trek EX9 with the I-bert seat it will be me so say Hi !
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    iBert seats looks cool but just look at the nad-smasher that's left behind when you detach the seat.....now that WILL make you ride safe!

http://www.tinyexperience.co.uk/page2.htm
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Hmm ... yes, that had occurred to me too yesterday as I was unpacking the said item just delivered! Don't worry ... I'm near to perfecting a method of cycling cross-legged!! :shock: However, if I fail in that endeavour, I think the only asnwer is to remove it (which makes the purchase of a second 'stinger' so that partner and I can both have one rather pointless), or to slacken it off and rotate thru 180 degrees so its pointing forward ... but I agree ... not ideal.

Mark_K ... how do you get on with this issue?
  • Mark_K
    I was going to get a second stinger but opted not to, so the stinger gets moved from bike to bike with the seat so never realy been a problem tbh. 2 mins to fit once you done it a couple of times !!!
  • Mark_K
    Just to add we keep the allen key on the stinger with a rubber strap that way it comes with us if we want to swap the seat mid ride (i.e. i want to do the long route ) also handy in case the stinger works lose NOT that it ever has, but would hate to be out and then find i couldn't adjust it ????
  • I have the hamax siesta on my bike. I think it is great as it reclines to almost flat so i had my daughter in from 7-8 months. She is now 3 and still loves going out.
    You are what you drink, and i'm a bitter man
  • Ocrider
    Ocrider Posts: 19
    Serious bumpage!
    I was going to get a second stinger but opted not to, so the stinger gets moved from bike to bike with the seat so never realy been a problem tbh. 2 mins to fit once you done it a couple of times !!!

We got an ibert seat only yesterday for our 14 month monster,what a seat. She loves it and we got smiles from everyone we passed on the way home from the creche 8)
    I didnt see the point of ordering a second stinger, it isnt really the type of thing that I would leave on my stem if I wasnt transporting a small child!