Tiagra or 105

TerryY
TerryY Posts: 12
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hi

I am new to road bikes, well bikes in general, and am looking for a bit of advice. After hunting around have narrowed it down to the 2009 Specialized Allez Sport which is £750 and fittied with Tiagra and the 2008 Specalized Tarmac Elite which is reduced to £999 and fitted with 105.

Being a novice i am looking for something that will work well for me and that i wont be looking to upgrade later, i am hoping to put in between 100-150 miles a week on average and more whenever possible.

Is it worth spending the extra £250 for the Tarmac or will the Tiagra fitted Allez be more than capable for the long haul.

http://www.dalescycles.com/2009_Special ... lezspt.htm

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec001382

Thanks

Terry[/url]

Comments

• shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Easy choice, Tarmac. Makes sense if you don't want to upgrade later to get as good a spec as possible.

Unless you are planning on using it as a winter trainer as I have a Tarmac Comp and would be mortified at the thought of abusing such a nice bike in this way.
  • Definately the latter. Extras=
    Full carbon frame
    Lighter wheels
    Carbon seatpin
    Toupe saddle(one of the best)
    AND a good quality 105 groupset.
    Not to mention numerous other small extras.
    Worlds better and as a carbon seatpin would cost you £50 and up, The toupe would cost £65 the wheels would be an etra £40 ay least your actually getting the carbon frame for only an extra £100. No brainer!!!!!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    My good gosh, the Tarmac, buy the Tarmac please buy the Tarmac.

Without all the discount involved there is actually about a justifiable £600 price difference between the Tarmac Elite and Allez sport.

The Tarmac is a better bike overall and at a mere £250 difference its a steal!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Tarmac it is then, thanks for the help. :D
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Good choice. The Allez Sport is well overpriced IMO.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Terry, your new to road cycling but when you find out about the value of carbonfibre frames. You'll be thankful you bought the Tarmac!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game