A MTB guide for beginners!

xcmtbkingy
xcmtbkingy Posts: 160
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
This is my guide on BASIC Mountain biking for begginers.
Contents-

1. Introduction to MTB

2. The Bike

3. Keywords

4. Jumps

5. Trail

6. XC

7. DH

8. extra information.

PLEASE NOTE- ALTHOUGH MY SIGNATURE SAYS IM 14 ( I HAVE BEEN MOUNTAIN BIKING 6 YEARS)

~ Introduction ~

Mountain biking could be considered as a "extreme sport." I'm assuming your looking at this because you want to learn some basic techniques in order to help your mountain biking experiece.

~ The Bike ~

Choosing the right bike can be hell at times - make sure it is a decent bike that you like to ride. As a begginner you shouldn't really go into more technical stuff unless you know what your on about.

Looks within bikes don't always make the bike amazing. Some bikes are the ugliest bikes in the world but are made to do a job.

Same as cars, a volvo for example not the best looking car in the world but has alot of space if needed. This is the same with bikes.

Make sure you have a bike you like but also put some research into the bikes ( Ask around forums bike shops etc) Before choosing the bike.

Having a bike you have trust in and like to ride will help with your experience.

Don't let the fact that i am only 14 years of age ( Almost 15 now) fool you. I have alot of experience within mountain biking as i have been doing it for almost 6 years, with many bikes.

Want to learn some basic techniques read on.

~ Keywords ~

Within mountain biking you will come across alot of keywords that people may not understand.

Some basic keywords are-

XC - Cross country.

DH - Downhill

FR - Freeride

rock Garden = A "garden" full of rocks usually tricky.

Pumping = Moving your body weight up and down on the handlebars allowing the bike to have more traction and move quicker.

OTH = Over the handlebars.

Switchback = Basically a hairpin

Trackstand = Preferably on a slope, turn the wheel to the right or the left and feather the brakes whilst moving the pedals slightly forwards and backwards to stop you falling over.

These basic keywords will hopefully help you to understand some basic stuff and hopefully open up other sorts of mountain biking for you.

~ Jumps ~

Although, jumps may seem pretty basic they can also be very tricky depending on what bike you have, the type of jumps etc.

Jump bikes are preferablly used for jumping ( This is blatently obvious though). The lighter the bike usually the easier it is to jump as you don't have as much weight to carry with you.

Technique is also a big issue here aswell.

The basic principle of jumping any bike assuming its on actually jumps and your not mistaking it for bunny-hopping.

Is to lift the handlebars up slightly causing you to do a slight wheelie as you head into the jump this will make you have more air and make the landing

Landing - The idea of landing is to lean back slightly which stops you going OTH ( Look at keywords) and also allows a smoother landing for the next jump if any.

1. Get your speed right in advance so you can coast up to the face of the jump
2. As you aproach the face of the take off, crouch down - bending arms & legs
3. As you go up the face & get to the lip, spring up, straightening arms & legs
4. In the air, bend arms & legs again whilst staying relaxed, so that:
5. As you come to land you can extend arms or legs as needed, to place both wheels down at the same time (or back slightly before front)

~ Trails ~

Following a trail. This is usually a trail in a place where other people are for example a nature reserve where i usually go biking.

Basically, respect the trails, enviroment and the people and animals around you.

~ XC ~

Cross country, this is possibly the most demanding (physicallywise) type of mountain biking.

To be a successful XC you don't particulary need the best bike in the world but you require alot of stamina and technique if you wish to do well within this sport.

It's not about the bike- it's how you use it although a bike does help!

~ DH ~

Downhill,

This is alot to do with the bike you are using and the style you have.

The top 3 DHers in the world currently are

Gee Atherton

Steve Peat

Sam hill

These people have spent years of practice within there sport. Alike any other form of mountain biking practice is needed but looking for the correct technique for a corner and the correct bike is a definate!

~ Other information ~

Some other basic information would be things such as

Keeping your feet parrel when going down a tricky terrain or over a jump. This enables your bodys center of mass to keep it even which stops you becoming off balance and falling off.

Some other stuff is pretty much commom sense like don't attempt something you know you can't do just walk it instead etc.
I have videos on youtube check them out

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kingyisere93

My bike - Gt aggressor xc3

Comments

• Hope this helped.

• Also, if anybody has anything to add please say so and i will add. Thanks

• Iv never tried it but i would have thought wheelying of a jump would cause the front end to dip as soon as it left the ramp due to it not having any kick and causing you to go forwards and 'OTB' as you say.
    Please correct me if im wrong
    Dave
  • David Lund wrote:
    Iv never tried it but i would have thought wheelying of a jump would cause the front end to dip as soon as it left the ramp due to it not having any kick and causing you to go forwards and 'OTB' as you say.
    Dave

dont wheelie as such on it- just when you approach take off lift up on handlebars to allow you to actually jump.

If you did a wheelie up a jump you would dip in like you said. Just lift the handlebars slightly its not exactly a "wheelie" as such it just helps you get air easier and safer.

• David Lund wrote:
    Iv never tried it but i would have thought wheelying of a jump would cause the front end to dip as soon as it left the ramp due to it not having any kick and causing you to go forwards and 'OTB' as you say.
    Dave

Yeh, there's a bit missing from the jump technique shown. Slightly misleading & incomplete. Trouble is it's hard to think of:

a) everything that you do in a certain skill
    b) importance of each bit
    c) and also how much people might/might not know already

I'm not a huge air merchant, but I'm relaxed on jumps & can jump without crashing. I Also teach MTB skills, which means I've had to analyse exactly what I'm doing for each skill. This helps you refine your own technique as well as breaking it all down to teach others.

So, xcmtbkingy, try to have a think about how to refine what you've written - think about what would happen to someone if they have no technique & they follow only your instructions i.e. they don't know anything else, so you have to take them through every stage.

• """""""I'm not a huge air merchant, but I'm relaxed on jumps & can jump without crashing. I Also teach MTB skills, which means I've had to analyse exactly what I'm doing for each skill. This helps you refine your own technique as well as breaking it all down to teach others. """""""

Im the same as you, i prefer to get a bit of air and land the jump smoothly and safely. the biggest iv ever gone is about 3-4 foot above a tabletop and im not realy bothered about going any higher.
    If you was to go higher but not usualy as far you should compress your bikes suspension and your body before the lip and and it shoots you in the air more due to the suspension expanding on take off.
    Have a look at books showing techniques on jumping and learn from them.
  • Yeh, if you can learn practical stuff like this from books (not everyone can) the one by Brian Lopes is really good. Your explanation is pretty good tho, that's close to what I'd teach - there's a few more details, but not worth talikng about here, people need to be doing the stuff to refine the details.
  • David Lund wrote:
    Dave

Yeh, there's a bit missing from the jump technique shown. Slightly misleading & incomplete. Trouble is it's hard to think of:

a) everything that you do in a certain skill
    b) importance of each bit
    c) and also how much people might/might not know already

I'm not a huge air merchant, but I'm relaxed on jumps & can jump without crashing. I Also teach MTB skills, which means I've had to analyse exactly what I'm doing for each skill. This helps you refine your own technique as well as breaking it all down to teach others.

So, xcmtbkingy, try to have a think about how to refine what you've written - think about what would happen to someone if they have no technique & they follow only your instructions i.e. they don't know anything else, so you have to take them through every stage.

Yes i understand that but im just pointing out the basic idea of the jumps etc

• That's fine, it's just, to use a cliche 'a little information can be a dangerous thing' - especially when flying is involved!
  • That's fine, it's just, to use a cliche 'a little information can be a dangerous thing' - especially when flying is involved!

Yes but you learn from experience. and in reality you shouldn't start on a 20ft drop if you never jumped before.

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good start, keep going! Needs a bit of work (spelling lol), and I wouldn't really call MTBing 'extreme' - though some aspects of it can be.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Good start, keep going! Needs a bit of work (spelling lol), and I wouldn't really call MTBing 'extreme' - though some aspects of it can be.

That is what i was on about although its extreme compared to golf. And find me a spelling mistake and ill edit it.

• supersonic
    Golf can be extreme ;-)

Lol, I am not pointing them out! Copy and paste into a word processor like Microsoft Word, and hit spell check.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Golf can be extreme ;-)

Lol, I am not pointing them out! Copy and paste into a word processor like Microsoft Word, and hit spell check.

I don't have time at the moment- by the way check my mountain bike videos out in off topic forum =D

• xcmtbkingy wrote:
    That's fine, it's just, to use a cliche 'a little information can be a dangerous thing' - especially when flying is involved!

Yes but you learn from experience. and in reality you shouldn't start on a 20ft drop if you never jumped before.

Never mentioned 20ft drops, any amount of air will cause someone to crash if they do it wrong. Some people learn from experience, some people just reinforce bad technique. Depends on your 'learning style', which is part of you as a person.
    ...and if you learn from experience why write a guide? I do actually think guides are handy, but they need to be accurate. None of this is supposed to be critical, just that I do know what works. The more you think about what's happening with your own skills and how you explain it to others, the more you can progress. I've been riding for 16/17 years and there's still stuff to get better at & refine.
    Just trying to be helpful
  • Are you here to get us to do your homework?

I also like the fact you're offering MTB tips but you can't be arsed to wear a helmet in your videos.

Well done!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)

I also like the fact you're offering MTB tips but you can't be arsed to wear a helmet in your videos.

Well done!

I blatently love your use of sarcasm ( See i can do it aswell =D )

With my next video i will be wearing a helmet and i didn't wear one in them videos because i know the line perfect and also the people around me- if you would watch my latest video i do have a helmet on.

• xcmtbkingy wrote:
    That's fine, it's just, to use a cliche 'a little information can be a dangerous thing' - especially when flying is involved!

Never mentioned 20ft drops, any amount of air will cause someone to crash if they do it wrong. Some people learn from experience, some people just reinforce bad technique. Depends on your 'learning style', which is part of you as a person.
    ...and if you learn from experience why write a guide? I do actually think guides are handy, but they need to be accurate. None of this is supposed to be critical, just that I do know what works. The more you think about what's happening with your own skills and how you explain it to others, the more you can progress. I've been riding for 16/17 years and there's still stuff to get better at & refine.
    Just trying to be helpful

Yes i know this but people MAY learn from reading things like this - experience is a key aspect within anybodys sports etc.

If your going to critise at least give me something to change. What your saying i understand but create me something i can put up there that is better without critising.

Well done!

oh, and by the way, yes your here to do my homework.........obviously. If i needed homework help i wouldn't be on this forum.

Im assuming your being bias thinking i don't know alot due to the fact im not as old as you.

Well your going to be proven wrong to be fair. Your making false accounts of somebody due to age.

GROW UP.

Because you used sarcasm in an unfriendly manner ill come right back at you so......

You just got out-smarted by a 14 year old.

• I love the way you claim to know loads about bikes on this thread, but then in Buying Advice you've just bought a bike that you don't even know the name of?

If you're going to pretend to know more than you do, it's best not to give yourself away on the exact same forum... :roll:
  • I love the way you claim to know loads about bikes on this thread, but then in Buying Advice you've just bought a bike that you don't even know the name of?

If you're going to pretend to know more than you do, it's best not to give yourself away on the exact same forum... :roll:

The bike i brought is called

vadar ammaco.....so yes i do know it i just didn't get spelling correctly.

• xcmtbkingy wrote:
    Yes i know this but people MAY learn from reading things like this - experience is a key aspect within anybodys sports etc.

If your going to critise at least give me something to change. What your saying i understand but create me something i can put up there that is better without critising.

OK, I assumed that if you're writing a guide which includes skills, you can do the skills - so, I was just saying think about what you're doing when you ride & think about how to explain it in a way where people don't have to read your thoughts. So for jumps:

5. As you come to land you can extend arms or legs as needed, to place both wheels down at the same time (or back slightly before front)

- for bigger jumps, spring up from lower & harder, for small ones it's a quicker, smaller movement.

As far as criticism goes, I was just trying to get you to think about it for yourself, and everyone should be able to take a bit of criticism. Although I've tried to help, you can't exactly demand that someone gives you info so that you can put it in your own post - although I don't mind. I looked up that Brian Lopes book and you'll find he pretty much says the same stuff in a different way, but with more detail again, and some other more advanced stuff - which gives me a bit of confidence in what I'm saying, him having been world champ.

Final point - when you get so many negative reactions from people, have a think about your attitude, no one's saying being young means you know nothing, but it don't mean you know everything either. If you ask for advice & then sound like you don't want it people stop offering it. Like I said before, even though I teach stuff, I ain't too proud to listen to other people's ideas. We're all still learning. Life would be boring if not...
  • supersonic
    Alrighty

Let us keep it amiable. Constructive criticism and debate it was this forum is about.

xcmtbkingy:

Take on board suggestions and criticism. Don't fight it! I like what you are doing, take on board what has been said.

I am going to edit your signature: keep it simple and to 3 or 4 lines.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Alrighty

Let us keep it amiable. Constructive criticism and debate it was this forum is about.

xcmtbkingy:

Take on board suggestions and criticism. Don't fight it! I like what you are doing, take on board what has been said.

I am going to edit your signature: keep it simple and to 3 or 4 lines.

I am taking it on board although, some people just critize and don't actually help in any way.

• xcmtbkingy wrote:

OK, I assumed that if you're writing a guide which includes skills, you can do the skills - so, I was just saying think about what you're doing when you ride & think about how to explain it in a way where people don't have to read your thoughts. So for jumps:

- for bigger jumps, spring up from lower & harder, for small ones it's a quicker, smaller movement.

As far as criticism goes, I was just trying to get you to think about it for yourself, and everyone should be able to take a bit of criticism. Although I've tried to help, you can't exactly demand that someone gives you info so that you can put it in your own post - although I don't mind. I looked up that Brian Lopes book and you'll find he pretty much says the same stuff in a different way, but with more detail again, and some other more advanced stuff - which gives me a bit of confidence in what I'm saying, him having been world champ.

Final point - when you get so many negative reactions from people, have a think about your attitude, no one's saying being young means you know nothing, but it don't mean you know everything either. If you ask for advice & then sound like you don't want it people stop offering it. Like I said before, even though I teach stuff, I ain't too proud to listen to other people's ideas. We're all still learning. Life would be boring if not...

ok, thanks for jumps thing as ive put it up on the guide- any more suggestions are appreciated

• Watch the mountain bike ride technique videos on the site, dispide some bieng short and not very helpfull, there are a few which give good advice on riding well, also check out the essential techniques DVDs from MBUK especialy the 1st one.
    Dave
  • With my next video i will be wearing a helmet and i didn't wear one in them videos because i know the line perfect and also the people around me

Sorry....stupid attitude. I've been riding on and off 20 plus years and ride a weekly trail that I know very very well. I still wear a helmet because you can't take into account:

Changes since you last rode it
    Failures on the bike
    Weather conditions

I could go on..plus the fact being 14 means you have a thinner and more vulnerable skull that us old gits.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
  • With my next video i will be wearing a helmet and i didn't wear one in them videos because i know the line perfect and also the people around me

Sorry....stupid attitude. I've been riding on and off 20 plus years and ride a weekly trail that I know very very well. I still wear a helmet because you can't take into account:

Changes since you last rode it
    Failures on the bike
    Weather conditions

I could go on..plus the fact being 14 means you have a thinner and more vulnerable skull that us old gits.

Well, i guess your right there i suppose to be honest once ive sorted my bike im going to be wearing one alot more.

• Well, i guess your right there i suppose to be honest once ive sorted my bike im going to be wearing one alot more.

I know helmets are personal choice but on trails they should be the first thing picked up when you're heading out.

I admire your enthusiasm for the sport tho...
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
  • ok,

my bike at the moment i only brought it yesterday and its f***ed the pedal keeps falling off i think the thread is lose so im getting a new bike tuesday hopefully..:S