Corsica

cycladelic
cycladelic Posts: 641
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone been by ferry - with bikes - from France? I wonder what the best option is in terms of cost and speed.

Any other tips regarding places to see, recommended B&Bs, maps, etc, would also be most welcome.
It's an uphill climb to the bottom

Comments

• For those who are also interested in going, this log seems very useful and informative...

http://www.tourvelo.org/corse.html
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    It depends a lot on how you are travelling.

SNCM run nightly ferries from Marseille to Bastia and ferries to Ajaccio and Propriano on alternate days (IIRC). Return ferries also run overnight.

Corsica Ferries depart in the mornings from Nice or Toulon. Return ferries also leave in the mornings.

If you travel overnight then I'd advise getting a cabin (though you can go seat-only). this adds tot he cost but obviously you are sving on the cost of a hotel room. so the two pretty much even out.
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    I have used the ferry (SNCM) from Nice 3 times, the last time with a push bike. Very easy and not very expensive

Probably my best European cycling tour - details and trip report here www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/corsica
  • Great stufff - many thanks for the info.

I won't be there until next June - which seems a loooong way off.
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    Cycling last year was early May and apart from the first 24 hrs we had lovely weather - even had a dip in the sea. I went twice in June by motorbike and it will be warm (approx 26-30) and should be sunny pretty much the whole time
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Jay Clock wrote:
    Cycling last year was early May and apart from the first 24 hrs we had lovely weather - even had a dip in the sea. I went twice in June by motorbike and it will be warm (approx 26-30) and should be sunny pretty much the whole time

You should have been there this May - never seen so much rain!

June is a pretty good time to go, especially if you're planning on heading for the mountains were it will be cooler.
  • cycladelic wrote:
    Has anyone been by ferry - with bikes - from France? I wonder what the best option is in terms of cost and speed.

Any other tips regarding places to see, recommended B&Bs, maps, etc, would also be most welcome.
    I caught the Ferry from Nice, as write up of the tour is after my signature below that may be of interest

Paul_Smith
  • Many thanks for posting that link, Paul - I can't wait to clip in and propel myself around the island.