Newbie - New bike now what?

pkr2000
pkr2000 Posts: 7
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
First off I'm a very green cyclist having owned a bottom of the range non-suspension hardrock mtb for pottering around tracks and muddy fields I finally bit the bullet and bought a road-bike (actually a tri-cross). So now what should I do now ;)

I need a pump, I've got a dodgy cheap tiny pump and rust car foot pump so should I get a track pump and ??? to cope with the road bikes psi?

I've got a cheapo giro(?) helmet for the mtb but now I'll be on the roads more should I look at something else?

Cycle computers - nice to know if I'm improving but should I bother with these?

Bottle cages - I'm bemused by wide choice of bottles and cages, what's the difference?

Clubs - given I'm probably as fast as the avg. club cyclist using square wheels should I join a club or should I wait till I've trained a bit?

Maintenance - any good books or sites about how to care for the bike?

Storage - My garage is starting to look like a bike shop, I've seen the Fisher bracket and the one from Aldi are they worth getting? Plus I've got a really old Halfords/Raleigh special bike to get rid of, any suggestions where to donate old bikes?

Transport, car - looking for recommendations for bike carrier for two bikes or suggestions for storing the bike inside a hatchback, e.g. blankets or bike bag or...

Transport, train - how practical is it to try and commute part of the way by train with a non-folding bike?

Sorry for all questions!

Comments

• doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    ive just gone from a hardrock to a tricross :) The difference is amazing and to think the tricross isnt a genuine road bike

Ive only been doing this lark for 6 months or so but commuting every day. Might be some help or not.

1. Pump : I got a track pump from Tesco for £10 and it pumps up the stock tyres on the tricross no problem. Small pump for £13 here for emergencies:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Lezyn ... 360034757/
    works fine and attaches to bike or small enough for rucksack

2. Helmet : stick with what you have..at least you have one :wink:

3. Computer : do you want the basics or heart rate and cadence etc. Its nice to know your average /top speed etc so i would say get one.

4.Bottle cages : bog standard one, transfered it from my hardrock

5. Clubs, cant really comment

6. Maintenance : look on youtube for basic stuff with video for example http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8merR9JxVbo

or search this forum. Youtube was a godsend for me as im useless at anything slightly technical

7.Storage : wall brackets are cheap from Aldi or Lidl when they do their bike stuff. Get some pipe insulating foam to put over the brackets for protection Ive got the Lidl ones and they are ok

8. cant comment on last 2 questions

If you are thinking of joining a club you may be looking at some road tyres as the stock tyres are quite big at 32mm (also not very puncture resistant) Im just about to fit some 25mm bontrager hardcase race lites - although reduces your off road capability somewhat
  • Thanks for the tips, didn't think of Tesco. Not sure about changing the tyres, I hate doing that so I'd have to buy new wheels and even if I could afford it then you get issues with the cassette(?) etc...I'm just lazy like that ;)

Thanks again, nice to know someone else made the same choice too.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Maintenance - try Park Tools Website

Track pump a must. Be careful with some of the cheaper ones. Been posts recently about Aldi or Lidl ones (can't remember which) blowing apart at high pressures.

Computer - feel good factor as in wow I'm doing 50km/h / 30 mph.

You didn't mention padded shorts - buy!

Clubs. Not all clubs are 'racing clubs'; try your local CTC group. They normally ride at the pace of the slowest rider and never drop anyone. Racing clubs are sometimes populated by inconsiderate S O Bs who'll drop you in the middle of nowhere ( :evil: Still bitter and twisted at being dropped in Suffolk 10 years ago and not knowing how to get home...)

Try reading the commuting forum as well.

Have fun!
    Steve C
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    commuting by train with the bike depends very much on the train provider you are using. at peak times most (maybe even all) of the intercity services require reservations to use the guard's van or similar.

if you are on a local service then you might find that you can walk up and use the train, but it is worth checking the operating company for the route you are using and find out their set up for bikes.
  • Great advice thanks.

I think I'm settling on a Joe Blow floor pump.

I do have some baggy shorts with the padded "panty liner" that I'm still using, I'm still working up the nerve to wear road-bike gear :oops:

I noticed one of the cycling mag's giving away a specialized wireless computer with subscription...tempted by that.

re: Trains, looking at a main line station that's about 1hr ride away so I doubt I could be that accurate on which train I'd catch, so I think that's looking doubtful.
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    i wear my lycra under baggy shorts or trousers if only to spare the rest of the world. also, if i went out in only lycra then i think the wife would change the locks and disown me. :D

with the trains it really does depend on who runs your services. first great western is my local one and they only ask for reservations for the 5 or 6 morning peak services (and that has only come in recently). the rest of the time it is open season. try not to be put off until you know what their rules are - especially if it stops you from going out for a nice hour ride!