Newbie pedal advice please

mrandmrsstig
mrandmrsstig Posts: 7
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi

I'm looking at getting some cycling shoes and pedals. I'm totally new to this area, so a few questions if I may. I hve seen some local pedals and shoes, all shimano SPD.

1. is it good to get pedals that are for both clip and normal shoe?

2. How do you clip on, off of them?

3. would it be good to get some for my wife too? she has little bike experince, and is still a bit wobbleie!!!

4. Any other advice please.

Thanks for your help.

:?:

Comments

• For beginners to cycling and even for those new to spd's, I would recommend pedals with a spd one side and a 'normal' platform on the other.

I would also recommend the shimano multi release cleats for the shoes.

To unclip from the pedals you twist your foot out. Imagine you are standing on a cigarete, you rotate your foot outwards until you feel the pedal release the cleat. this needs to be done before you come to a stop!

it gets easier with practice until it is second nature.

Multi release cleats allow you to pull your foot out at any angle.

I would wait for your wife to become more accustomed to riding before trying spd's.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hmmm, I don't like those single sided spd/platform pedals. When trying to clip back in it's 50/50 if the right side is up. And sod law says it never is! I think this can be off putting.
  • Thanks for the info.

I will wait for my wife, I have a picture in my mind of her upside down in a ditch with the bike still on her!!

I already have a strange obsesion for having my pedal the way up I prefer, so I don't think it will annoy me too much.

The multi release sounds interesting though.

The shoes I have seen are Shimano MT20D SPD Shoe, but I'm looking at these ones due to cost, the others they had were also Shimano but had kind of velcro straps.

one other thing, they seemed to be implying I should get a size lrger than my usual shoe size, or have I got this wrong? Should it be smaller?

Thanks
  • cycle shoes are usually a little smaller than everyday shoes. Best to try them on in the shop. Also make sure you get a size that will take thicker socks for winter riding, or get two pairs of shoes, one a size bigger than the other.

There are pedals that are platform with the spd in the middle, so you can use the same pedal with any shoes and not have to worry about right side up.

shimano are no the only pedal maker, I like Crank brothers egg beaters and mallets, but they don't do a multi release cleat.

Look and Time are also manufacturers you should look at.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • I got Crank Bros Eggbeaters not long after getting into bikes. Never looked back. Dead easy to get in and out of. :D
  • An update,

Today I went and got some, I got the Shimano PD-M324 pedals and some Shimano MT41 SPD Shoes.

First impresions, absolutlely great. I wound the screw to the weakest setting, but I found it too weak. I'm about 3 threads of the tightest grip.

I find getting in and out pretty easy, only had one near miss, where I forgot they were on, but at about 45deg to the ground I soon remembered!!

Thanks for the tips.