Maromotte - registration/getting an early start number

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
I just wanted to check others experience of Marmotte entry and start numbers.

Advice is to register early to get an good start number (less than 2000?) that means you start with the first group. (This is useful because it means you spend less time hanging around at the start, get first dibs at the feed stations and can drink more beer at Huez while watching those with later numbers struggle to the finish.)

However I registered late, June 17th, last year and got a low number of 1002 which seems strange. I can only put it down to good luck or the fact that I entered 3 other events at the same time (Vaujany/GrandeRousse/Grimpe) meant I got some sort of priority.

Wondered when others registered and what numbers they got and/or if others who entered multiple events found they got low numbers.
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Last year it seemed to be first come first served upon registration, starting from 500. 0-250 is invitees/contenders, 250-500 is for those who have done well before. I registered on the first day and was #680. Other team mates who registered the same morning all had similar numbers.
    Rich
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    I registered in the afternoon and had a 900 series number.
    Half man, Half bike
  • RichA wrote:
    Last year it seemed to be first come first served upon registration, starting from 500. 0-250 is invitees/contenders, 250-500 is for those who have done well before. I registered on the first day and was #680. Other team mates who registered the same morning all had similar numbers.

When did registrations open for 2008?

Mark
  • Is an early number important if you are going for 8-9 hour finish ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Yup. It is advisable. Easy to find a faster group, food stations less ransacked, etc.

Position within pens is based upon when you get to the pen - from 6am (early) to 7am (late).

From memory - sure someone will come and correct me - pens work like this:

0-250 >> Pen1 (invitees/contenders)
    251-500 >> Pen2 (those who have done well before)
    501-2500(?) >> Pen3
    2500-5000 >> Pen4
    5000-7500 >> Pen5
    Rich
  • I was no.3550 or so this year, and I still managed an 8 hour time, so it isn't crucial, although the feeds were a bit of a scrum. The most important thing is to get in with some good groups on the flat, leading up to base of the first climb, then along the Maurienne valley, and down from the Lauteret.
    We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Is an early number important if you are going for 8-9 hour finish ?
    It is when you need all the daylight hours possible to finish!
    Half man, Half bike
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    bahzob wrote:
    I just wanted to check others experience of Marmotte entry and start numbers.

..........I registered late, June 17th, last year and got a low number of 1002 which seems strange. I can only put it down to good luck or the fact that I entered 3 other events at the same time (Vaujany/GrandeRousse/Grimpe) meant I got some sort of priority.

Wondered when others registered and what numbers they got and/or if others who entered multiple events found they got low numbers.

Entering the series gets you a low number-see below. In 07 I was slightly embarrassed to be in the same pen as all the racing snakes....I entered the four events in January

As a result I didn't pass anyone until halfway up the Telegraph, and that was a gran' on her shopper out visiting the family

FWIW I did finish in daylight-8h40m in around 1000th position

cycling002.jpg
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Speaking from experience, I’d say the advantage in getting a low number is being able to avoid being stuck behind a dense pack of slower riders on the lower part of the Croix de Fer, a density which is made worse in several places by cars accompanying those riders from places like Denmark and Holland and occupying half the road width.
  • I started in the back group last year (number 6000ish) and only ever found it really busy at the Col du Glandon - I'd taken enough food to not worry about stopping here, but it took a few minutes to make it through the timing gate and through the crowd who were trying to get food.

As you each wear a timing chip, I think you don't need to worry as much as in previous years for starting at the back. If you have the legs, you can still do a reasonable time.

Cheers, Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com

Last year's Marmotte video diary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kldC4Mv_VeM
  • I may have missed a reply to the earlier question, but when did registrations open last year (and do they open the same date for each year)? Also, is there any idea on the date for the 2009 event? Thanks very much, Mark
    Mark Manner
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Registrations open start of December (according to email I got from Sport Communications, the organisers)
    Martin S. Newbury RC