Chain gang ettiquette

Hornetto
Hornetto Posts: 141
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I'm doing an 80-mile organised ride a week on sunday (Southdowns Challenge). I'm going on my own but would prefer to ride with some people for at least some of the way. So, what is the 'done thing' with joining a 'chain gang' where you don't know anyone? Do you just tag along and say hi? Maybe ask if they mind me joining? Or do people just form groups on an ad-hoc basis and not mind if people tag along without saying anything?

Any thoughts? Am I thinking about it too much??
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Unless you are in a group with mates who will wait for you / you'll wait for them on climbs etc, you'll probably find you chop and change between groups quite a bit anyway.

If you are joining in with another group all from the same club, probably best to just ask if they mind you riding with them so you don't pee anyone off. If you are not confident riding close on a wheel and doing turns on the front, then just sit at the back and enjoy the tow although it would be good to let the others know this is what you are doing.
  • I introduce myself to people, ask if its okay to join them, and do a stint or three up front. I try to do more time at the front than strictly necessary. Its best that way I find. I've had people draft along with me without saying a word or doing a turn up front and it's really annoying :x
    When I did the British Heart Foundation 100mile ride round Norfolk this year, I got seperated from my friends by a stupid car driver. I was joined by a rider who I'd met earlier. He didn't say anything, and didn't need to. He just worked with me to TT home. We missed the 5 hour mark by just over 3minutes :cry:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Must have ridden over 20 sportives to date and can never recall an instance when someone asked if it was OK to join a group. So I would not worry about joining a group if they are riding a pace you are comfortable with. Most will be glad of an extra member, for the the company and to share the load.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • always make sure you unclog your nostrils when you're at the BACK of the bunch.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    always make sure you unclog your nostrils when you're at the BACK of the bunch.

On the other hand, farting while at at the front is a must do in order to be truly part of
    the group.

Dennis Noward
  • Thanks for the advice, everyone. Didn't think farting tactics would come in to play, but I'll bear it in mind!! :lol:

Not having been in a group before, how will I know when I need to take a turn at the front and how long should I stay there? When at the front is it your job to really push it or just maintain the same steady pace?

Provided I feel comfortable in the group I'd be happy to be at the front for a bit. Just don't want to (a) hold anyone up, or (b) overdo it!
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    If it's an organised group they'll rotate riders, either through the lead riders pealing off and drifting down the sides to the back or by doing through and off.

Less formal, take a pull at the front when you feel able too, no sense in riding on the front if you're going to blow up after 30secs :wink:

If you do spend any time on the front, make sure to point out any potholes or obstacles to the group and signal a change in direction (to avoid parked cars etc) with a hand behind the back pointing in the direction of travel.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Hornetto wrote:
    When at the front is it your job to really push it or just maintain the same steady pace?
    No, just keep it steady - classic beginners mistake to ride really hard on the front and disrupt the rythym - you'll not make friends doing that.
  • If I were you I would just loaf at the back watching what is going on and allowing anyone moving back to join just in front of you. Noone will care and you'll get the feel of it. Just hope Dennis isn't in front of you.

I know this is the best thing to do because I normally do it for five minutes, get overexcited at the first hill and think I'll drop the group before bonking horribly and spending the last twenty miles grovelling.