Bar Ends For Hybrid

2»

Comments

• RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    RufusA wrote:
    holybinch wrote:
    Rufus: So you managed to adapt them to the Sirrus grips?

I fitted them a long time ago, so don't really remember the process. I was trying to picture the plastic ring you were referring to. I might have a dig around my parts bin to see if anything jogs my mind.

Rufus.

Had a good look at my Sirrus and either the design of the grips has changed, or I am misunderstanding.

My original handlebar grips consisted of two parts, a pastic bung that went in to the end of the bars (which could simply be prised out), and the grip itself. The grip is secured by two hex bolts on the end which when slackened off the whole grip can slide. Once loosened I can simply slide the whole grip off the bar, leaving a bare bar (plus levers etc.).

I haven't tried splitting the grips, but the part with the hex bolts in is made of plastic but might be a separate ring if fully removed. TBH I didn't need to do this, I just simply undid the hex bolts slid it a cm towards the stem and tightened again, by moving the levers slightly and loising the bell, I had enough room beyond the end of the grips to attach the bar ends.

I'm not quite sure why you'd need to get the bar ends over any part of the grip - can't you move / shorten the grip, then fit the barends directly to the now exposed bar on the ends like I did?

Rufus.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Have you ever thought of having butterfly bars?
    7202.jpg
    I have ridden over 9000kms on them since they were fitted; I have found them extremely comfortable on long rides.
  • Rufus:

I think it has changed then.
    It's now the Specialized BG comfort.

Let's say we're talking about the right grip, from left to right, you have:
    The grip itself, in a gray and black rubbery/gel-ymaterial which finished (on the right in this example) by a plastic open ring, the internal diameter of which fits the handlebar size.
    A metal ring, to tighten the plastic open ring around the handlebar using a small hex bolt, and thus securing the grip.
    The bar end plug.

I think this picturerepresents the said grip:
    specialized-bg-comfort-locking-grips.jpg

The grip being quite big, i don't really have the option to push them further down the handlebars. Plus it wouldn't look as good (bearing in mind it's my gf's bike, that factor is highly important)
    I won't even mention cutting the grips (will be a no-no with the boss)
    What I was trying to find was a bar end/horn that would replace the metal ring, being placed around the plastic open ring, and tightening the grip in the same process.

trouble is to find one with the right diameter.

Seems I'm not going to have it that easy :)
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • I've had my Ridgeback Meteor Flat Bar road bike for 5 years, and spend most of the time on the bar ends. When approaching a junction, or in town, I will move to the normal griips so I have immediate access to brakes and gears, and then move back to the bar ends when I 'leave town'.

Whatever type you get, I recommend they are angled fairly flat, not straight up in the air, so that they support the palm in a comfy way.

As for fitting them and shortening the bars, I can't comment. You'll need to make space for them. possibly by cutting part of the rubber grip away. Overall bar width is up to you. You can cut a bit off, but you can't put it back on. (unless you buy a new bar, of course).

But that's jjust my opinion.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6