Ankle issues

gazvenn
gazvenn Posts: 121
edited September 2008 in Health, fitness & training
went for a ride yesterday and i've come out of it with a rather sore left ankle, this has never happened before. i've put it down to the cleats in my shoes being in the wrong place although i checked half way around the trail as it didnt feel right and it was identical to my right foot. i tried to move it around a bit but i feel i need it further across my foot towards the outside rather than forward or back and the shoes i have don't seem to cater for this.

if anyone can make sense of that... :?

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Feet aren't symetrically or even the same size for most people. Set the cleats up so they are comfortable for each foot.

As you say some shoes won't allow full movement of the cleat when positionning, need to try shoes with a different sole.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • gazvenn
    thing is they've been fine for a fair few rides before hand and i've only really noticed it yesterday and my ankle still hurts now.guess i'll just go for a play in the garden moving them around. thanks

and sorry for sticking it in the wrong section :)
  • gazvenn
    think i'd have to say that i underpronate.
  • then fit wedges to your cleats...

I overpronate so I get serious pain on the outside of my ankles. Eventually I fit some home made wedges... a bigger wedge under my left foot than the right one. Zero pain. In fact, my ankles disappear! Whenever I go back to shoes without cleats, I can feel the old ankle bones start to grind on one side...
  • gazvenn
    been out again today and had a little play with the cleat before hand and no ankle issues this time, dunno if it'd moved or something on my last ride or what but seemed fine today. will see how it fairs next couple of times i'm out and go from there i think. thanks for all the advice