Quick question

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
I've got my Ride2Work vouchers and I'm going to Evans tonight to pay for the new stuff.

I wanted to get the Tubus Logo rear rack but Evans don't have it on their website anymore so I've had to look at alternatives (can't use the vouchers anywhere else).

Does anyone know how the Tortec Expedition compares to the Tubus Logo? They both look pretty similar to me.

Tortec Expedition here:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tor ... k-ec006628

Tubus Logo here:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Tubus ... 360025255/

Thanks

Comments

• Jamey
    Steady... I know racks and panniers are pretty exciting stuff, right at the cutting edge of online cycling discussion ;)
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    rack??? panniers??? what is this strange stuff he doth speaketh of :?
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Jamey
    I never thought I'd venture to the dark side but I decided that enough was enough when it comes to backpack sweat.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    I know what you mean but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Like yer pics by the way
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Jamey wrote:
    I never thought I'd venture to the dark side but I decided that enough was enough when it comes to backpack sweat.

Berghaus do Freeride or Freeflow models, which have a space between the pack and your back so you get some ventilation.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jamey
    Too late, I've made up my mind to get a rack and panniers (other factors, not just commuting) and now I just need a quick opinion on the rack above (Tortec Expedition).
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    There's still time. Don't do it. You'll be Morris Dancing next.

(I've no idea where that came from. I'm trying to emphasise a point. I think.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Berghaus do Freeride or Freeflow models, which have a space between the pack and your back so you get some ventilation.

I didn't find the Berghaus Freeflow system all that effective when I tried it whilst hiking (admittedly this was a 7 hour walk rather than an hour commuting). I think sweaty-back-itis is the unavoidable price of the convenience of a rucksack.
    Jonny
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Tortec Expedition is a very similar design to the Tubus, with lower rail, which is really good for more heel clearance and easy access to the rack top. The main differences are price (£40 less for the Tortec), material (Aluminium Tortec, Steel or Stainless Steel for the tubus - the Cosmo is stainless), guarantee (dunno about Tortec but Tubus is 10 years, and free courier supply of spares or replacement anywhere in the world for the first 3 years), and lower mounting (Tubus is a bit more sturdy and fits their accessory qr skewer). The Tortec was a C+ best buy. I have the Tubus Cosmo - the best rack available IMHO, but I would be happy with the Tortec.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    jstutters wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I didn't find the Berghaus Freeflow system all that effective when I tried it whilst hiking (admittedly this was a 7 hour walk rather than an hour commuting). I think sweaty-back-itis is the unavoidable price of the convenience of a rucksack.
    I do find it effective for hiking, for cycling it might make the pack stand up a bit far from your back, but I haven't used it for cycling as I am a rack and pannier type person.
  • Jamey
    Thanks alfablue. I've gone with the Tortec, albeit mainly because I had to spend the full value of the voucher right there and then, and they didn't have a Tubus Logo in the shop, but it sounds like I shouldn't be disappointed, plus it gave me an extra £40 to spend on more goodies than I'd bargained for.