Montane Featherlite Velo question

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Basically I am planning on buying one as I am tired of going to work without my waterproof and when coming back is pissing it down.

Has anyone got one? I am trying to find out if an "L" would be long enough on the arms (I know it is a rough 42" chest). Could anyone here with one of that size or one up or down check how long is from the seam under the armpit to the wrist?

Also, has anyone got any suggestion of something of similar price and same portability but without the known flapping?

Cheers,
Gabriel
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• I have a large, but no tape measure to hand :p

I'm 5'7 with a 40" chest and the large has plenty room. Having been measured up, all my limbs are in proportion :) and there's plenty of length on the sleeve. Stretched out, the sleeves stop just before my knuckles. If that's of any use to you.

I'd like to point out that it is in no way waterproof - showerproof yes, but not any good if you're using it as a rain jacket. I seem to have thermal blood and am constantly toasty, so like you I had the idea of using the Montain rather than carry around a bulky waterproof. Now I rarely bother to pull it out my bag if it rains, as it either soaks through or the condensation gets me.

It IS good in the wind or on chilly mornings however. And if you get the yellow one then it's fairly eyecatching.
  • gabriel959
    Well, I am 6ft 6 and was planning to use it for the chilly mornings and wind more than anything. I don't have a rucksack or paniers and I haven't seen anything similar to it (apart from the Descente Velom jacket that noone seems to have).

For winter I am going to be using a Gore Phatom N2S.

Thanks for the information though, very much appreciated :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • got one - love it. Does everything I want it to anyway. Been fine all this year for an awful lot of wet rainy riding!
    I make mine 660mm from armpit to wrist, but it's an XL. and that's bl00dy huge. I'd get the L next time..
  • gabriel959
    Brilliant ... that seems like a lot though! 66cm from armpit to wrist is really a lot :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • it doubles as both an emergency parachute, and a shelter for a small family.
  • My experience is the similar to theDaffodilfish.
    The fit is good on me (XL, I'm 6 ft with a 43 inch chest). It folds down to the size of a small apple and is just as much use in the rain. It's windproof rather than shower/rainproof.
    There are better items around, just wish I'd bought one.
  • gabriel959
    Hello Neilinker,
    Thanks for your comments.
    Which other items do you consider to be better and have the same functionality? I only know the Descente Velom jacket!!
    Cheers,
    Gabriel
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I'm 5'8", 36" chest, M is large on me. i'd go for large or x-l, try one on if you can.

the strap on the stuff sack to attach to saddlebag is a bit crappy too, though - i've needed to fix it a couple of times now.

K
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • gabriel959
    Any ideas for any other jackets? :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Still in the Montain range how about the H20? Fully waterproof and stuffs down to about the same size - no problem in a jersey pocket. It's not quite as briethable as the Velo but there isn't a lot in it..I have both but this year has definately been one for the H2O.
  • gabriel959
    Seen those, thanks. The thing is I am going to buy a Gore Phantom for when the weather really gets nasty :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x