When to Replace Cassette and Chain?

CanterburyTailwind
CanterburyTailwind Posts: 162
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I've done about 2500 miles since getting my bike earlier this year. The chain's been replaced once (it snapped), the cassette never. Now the chain skips sometimes when I'm out of the saddle and pushing hard up a hill. I've been advised that the cassette/chain should be replaced sometime soon. Is there a standard time/mileage for replacing these things?

Cheers

CT

Comments

• I've done about 2500 miles since getting my bike earlier this year. The chain's been replaced once (it snapped), the cassette never. Now the chain skips sometimes when I'm out of the saddle and pushing hard up a hill. I've been advised that the cassette/chain should be replaced sometime soon. Is there a standard time/mileage for replacing these things?

Cheers

CT

Are there any signs of wear on the teeth? Are you sure that this is the reason for jumping?
    If you know that the cassette is definately worn then replace it. It may be difficult to give a standard time for cassetts degradation as different people will be harder on their bikes than others.

Personally I like heavy gears and slow revolutions which wear the cassette....others prefer high cadence which probably won't be as hard on the cassette.

This is all personal opinion so I'm expecting someone to come along shortly to make me look silly! :)
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • If it's skipping and you are happy that the set-up is correct then it sounds like time for some shopping!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • I do treat it quite hard, and don't clean it often enough :oops: . But I'll check the wear on the teeth - anything I should be looking for in particular here?