Do i need another insurance??

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
have got my bike covered under home insurance if it gets nicked at home or when im out as long as its locked to a fixed fixture

however after the ever increasing idiots on the road nearly killing me im worried that if i do have an accident and they persued the legal route it could cost me a lot of money.

dont need to get bike insured as only worth £500 so can get this done on home insurance, just want the personal protection, however if it was their fault then surely it would cost them??

just dont want to knock a really expensive car and get stung with a respray bill of £1000's

Thanks in advance

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    If you join the CTC you get 3rd party insurance with your membership, which would cover you for something like knocking an expensive car and leaving a dent

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4088
  • andy83
    cheers for that

is the other information that you recieve good aswell??

also are yyou a member and can you pay via monthly installments??
  • graeme_s-2
    I am a member, they send out a magazine every couple of months which normally has 1 or 2 interesting articles (mostly touring related stuff). I pay monthly by direct debit (can't remember how much off the top of my head).

I've never had to get in touch with them after an accident (touch wood), but other people on the forum have, and seem to have generally found them helpful.
  • British cycling do the same sort of thing which costs 50 odd quid a year for full third party insurance and free legal advice etc.With their scheme you are covered for general commuting and competitive events too.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • andy83
    ah just had a read through and not sure its exactly what i wanted

i wanted something that also covered me if it was against someone else i was claiming and had time off work etc. or would this just be me claiming from them?? what if the person drives off and im left in the dogs dodo
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Actually British Cycling are only £35 a year for silver which gives you third party and legal cover...bargain.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • graeme_s-2
    andy83 wrote:

i wanted something that also covered me if it was against someone else i was claiming and had time off work etc. or would this just be me claiming from them?? what if the person drives off and im left in the dogs dodo

If you're in a collision and it's someone elses fault then you need to claim against their insurance. CTC will give you advice on that, and refer you to a no win no fee typed lawyer who are used to dealing with cyclists' claims, but of course you can use a no win no fee lawyer without having CTC membership.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    andy83 wrote:

The Motor Insurer's Bureau compensates people where the driver is untraced or uninsured (I got £4000 from them for a whiplash). Individuals can claim without legal help, it is quite easy, but I had a lawyer as my motor insurance included legal cover. The CTC cover would also offer you legal cover to make a claim for the MIB.

Beyond that you would be looking for comprehensive cover to pay for damage to your bike - this would be useful if it were valuable and you trashed it through your own efforts (an unaided crash), and life or accident cover. However these are going to cost quite a bit.
  • andy83
    thanks for all your advice

i think ill join as will be useful to get info on local rides etc. bike aint worth a great deal and if i crash by my own stupidity then ill just have to bite the bullet lol. have got personal injury cover through health scheme at work

better to be safe than sorry i guess
  • andy83
    ok now unsure which one to go with ctc or british cycling??

british cycling seems the better option due to legal advice but surely should get that with ctc??
  • You could have a look at www.cycleguard.co.uk - they offer third party as well as bicycle insurance.
  • Have a look here: http://www.eandl.co.uk/cycle-insurance/

I've insured my bike that way and it's pretty comprehensive! They'll even cover the cost of recovery should you not be able to get home on your bike. There's plenty of other insurers of course their policy just suited me!
  • andy83
    thanks for reply. thinking now whether to cancel insurance with house an take up with one that offers public liabilities as would ideally like to insure for only 700 but house insurance only lets me go 500
  • I have public liability insurance up to £1.25m. Hopefully I'll never need it! Will you be racing or just more leisurely cycling??
  • I have insurance policy even cover the cost of recovery should you not be able to get home on your bike.Under home every one must put insurance it’s safety.
    ==============================================================
    williamrichard :lol:

Foreclosed Homes