douglastubbs Posts: 2
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Hey all,
Thinking about changing my hybrid Specialized Sirrus Pro to
1. Focus Mares
2. Specialized tricross Comp
3. Cannondale CAAD9
4. Surly.
Upshot of spending the past week researching (looking back to reviews upto 2 years ago) is more confused than ever and hoping that someone has up to date recommendations. Commute is about 10 miles each way but would like to cycle at weekend.
Sorry about question but have managed to narrow down to 4 bikes,
Thanks

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hi Douglas

Focus seem to represent good VFM. How heavy is the Tricross compared to the Mares?

Another option is to go along to a local cyclo-cross race - you might find that some of the good guys are selling off last season's frames.

Cross racing is good fun!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • CX bikes are one of cycling best kept secrets, without really being a secret.
    I have a Felt F1x, my only complaint is no mudguard or rack braze ons.
    I would definitely opt for a 3by9 or 3by8 gearing rather than 2by10, the weight difference is naff all, but the extra gears are useful when going off-road.
    Be careful about sizing.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Hi,

I've just got the Focus Cross Disc (basically the Mares with Disc brakes and upgraded components) and I love it! However, there are no braze-ons for mudgards or panniers as there are on the tricross., so if you want it for commuting this might be a consideration, unless you use a backpack.

I use mine to commute a 25 mile round trip and I have just stuck a couple of crud-catchers on. However, I don't see or pass anyone else (at the moment) and although they keep me clean, anyone behind or that you overtake will get spayed unless you have full length mudguards and you will soon lose friends!

I know you have whittled it down to 4 bikes, but this bike below seems to represent very good value and a couple of other people on here have recommended it previously. I'd have certainly had a second look if I knew about it before I bought the Focus:
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c002912

Best of luck and enjoy whatever you decide on!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    anyone behind or that you overtake will get spayed

Seems harsh!
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    biondino wrote:
    anyone behind or that you overtake will get spayed

Seems harsh!

and you will soon lose friends!

Yeah no wonder really :shock:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Even in the TdF they pull over to the side of the road to do that.
  • :D You mean none of you carry a scalpel in your saddlebags?

Love it when a typo throws a whole new meaning on a sentence.
  • My little brother has a Surly cross check and loves it, uses it for commuting in the mean streets of New York. I think they are slightly heavier than the other options you have but then are the others steel? Don't think so.

Another one to potentially throw in, the lemond poprad disk, I was looking into these but they don't import them into Australia sadly.
  • GEPC
    GEPC Posts: 123
    I have a cyclocorss bike and love it. Yes when you are not actually cyclocross racing it its a compromise but its the right one in my opinion if you can only have one bike. I love the fact that I can ride it just about anywhere.
    I have an on one ticross which you don't see that often but all of the bike you listed seem to be well regarded.

I suggest you also have a look at Kenisis
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... f%26sa%3DN

Good luck and enjoy
  • douglastubbs
    Hi Douglas

I'm selling a Focus Cross Disc 2008 52 cm for £590 - it's in absolute mint condition.
    Only bought it last July and used it for work and back - haven't had it ridden on mud or off road despite my all my intentions. Have to say it turns heads.
    Reason I'm selling is that I realised it's not my ridding style and less likely to take it on mud (being in London).
    It's almost new. It retails at £720 so you'd save quite a lot.
    It's an upgrade version of the Mares Cross - and it comes cheaper.
    Obviously no mud guards but you always have to put something extra on.

Let me know if you haven't made you mind up. It's a bargain.

Stella

skatsea@googlemail.com
  • GEPC wrote:
    I have a cyclocross bike and love it.

+1 Oh Yes!
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30