Taking bikes on Jet2 flights

JJDLD
JJDLD Posts: 75
edited October 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm hoping to get to Italy next year, taking the bike with me. I'm planning to use a hardshell bike bag, and will probably be flying with Jet2.

Jet2's website says that you can pay £25 to take a bike, but describes it as having to be in a cardboard box. Does anybody know if I could use the option to pay the £25 and use a hardshell case rather than a cardboard box, and, if so, whether the case would be excluded from the baggage allowance?

Thanks,

JJ.

Comments

• SPS7
    SPS7 Posts: 21
    JJ

You can use a case, the comment is basically to stop people with no packaging/coverin g on the bike. The case will definately be part of the baggage allowance!

SPS
  • No problems this year at all with hard shell cases and large padded bags on the flight into Avignon.

Craig
  • JJDLD
    Sorry to keep banging on about this, but after a couple of baggage misadventures in the past I'm a bit paranoid about getting caught out by the airline's baggage restrictions, so...

The Jet2 website (http://www.jet2.com/questions/baggage-advice.aspx) says that: "No single item of baggage may weigh more than 25kg, with the exception of wheelchairs and certain items of sporting equipment which may weigh up to 32kg." Does anybody know if a bike in a box would count as "sporting equipment"? I'm guessing that a good quality box (proper bike box, not a cardboard thingy) plus bike and a few bits of kit could easily exceed the 25kg limit.

Thanks for the advice so far.

JJ.
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Send them an e-mail and if the answer is favorable print it out for proof at the check in counter.
  • JJDLD
    Good idea, but Jet2 is a "budget" airline, and they don't have an email address (or not one I've been able to find). There is a phone line, but it's premium price, and I was oping someone on here would have some "real life" experience.

JJ.
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    Copied this from their website.
    Although you have not booked yet you should get a reply to a letter.
    Chris

If you would like to contact us to share your travel experiences, or discuss any aspect of our service, please write to us at the address below. To aid us with your enquiry please include the following information at the top of your letter.

Your unique 6 letter booking reference (e.g. ABCXYZ). We regret we will not be able to reply if you do not quote your booking reference.
    A subject heading for your particular issue
    Lead passenger name
    Departure date (dd/mm/yy)
    Leaving from | Flying to
    Please note that all post flight communication must be in writing in English and all replies will be in English.

Customer Care Team
    PO Box 314
    Leeds
    LS19 9DY
    England

We aim to respond to you within 21 working days.