Firstly, Hello everyone. Now my questions!

fatblokefromwarwick
fatblokefromwarwick Posts: 331
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello all,
I'm a newbie who's keen to roll and learn a few tips. I have been out a couple of times now, mainly tow paths and disused railway cuttings with thick mud and deep puddles. Great fun!
I have a Boardman Pro (which I'm loving) but like every other vehicle I've had, I need to tinker, adjust & modify!
I've been reading about removing the spacers within the headset to improve handling but at the mo I'm hardly going up and down rocky hillsides so would I benefit from removing them or is it more for posture? As it is at the mo I feel comfortable.

If I do decide to remove the spacers what is the procedure?

Next job will be DMR V12 pedals and sintered pads.

Cheers all.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hi!

It may not necessarily 'improve' handling - but will subltey alter the feel and front end height. But it is good to experiment to get a position you want.

The spacers form part of the threadless headset. You can't remove them as such, but can swap them around ie put abpve the stem. They are needed to adjust the headset.

See here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

Relevant parts at bottom of page. Basically the bolt on the top pf the fork steerer/stem pulls the spacers and stem onto the bearings, then the stem side bolts are nipped up to hold in place. Therefore the spacers are important (but can be swapped around) as long as that gap is preservd as in the diagram.
  • Cheers for the reply and the link (which I've bookmarked)

I thought that the 4x5mm & the 1x10mm spacers above the headstock were removable to alter the height of the bars?
  • supersonic
    They are switchable - the spacers still must be present, but move the order around in conjuction with the stem to get the stem position you want. That is they can go below, or on top of the stem. Or both!
  • Understand now, thank you indeed.

Bound to need to ask some other newbie type questions sometime :)

Cheers all.
  • supersonic
    No probs.

Remember you'll have to readjust the headset once you have done this - that link shows how.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You do realise that improving/fettling your bike is more addictive than crack or pringles once you start you cant stop and your gonna end up skint

Welcome to the club :D
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • fatblokefromwarwick
    fatblokefromwarwick Posts: 331
    edited September 2008
    Hi Stubs,
    I'm only too aware about the long slippery slope of modifications, but am addicted to messing!
    Along with buttered crepes dunked in me bowl of coffee :wink:
  • Just to clarify something here...

Yes, you can remove the spacers above and below the stem, but it means you have to cut the fork steerer tube. That's an irreversible process and you risk throwing your fork in the bin, or re-selling it to a midget on ebay at a greatly reduced price if you accidently cut it too short. Don't ask me how I know this.

But I would go with what supersonic says for now and just swap them around. :wink: