Flashing lights illegal ?

jonno1230
jonno1230 Posts: 8
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Is a flashing red light on your bike illegal?

I'd have thought it was much more noticeable than a static light.

Comments

• A flashing LED isn't illegal if that's what you mean.
  • I think that as long as they dont blink on and off it's fne but i have been told that a light of some type needs to be illuminated at any one time :?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    It used to be, but it is not any more. somewhere in the search engine, you will find a thread about this that contains a very long specification for precisely what constitutes legal lights.

Not having pedal reflectors fitted at night is, however, still illegal, but don't worry about it.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    pneumatic wrote:
    It used to be, but it is not any more. somewhere in the search engine, you will find a thread about this that contains a very long specification for precisely what constitutes legal lights.

Not having pedal reflectors fitted at night is, however, still illegal, but don't worry about it.

A colleague got stopped by the Police for not having reflectors at night and fined too so I wouldn't be so quick to say "don't worry about it".
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • DanielCoffey
    DanielCoffey Posts: 142
    edited September 2008
    The section you are looking for is this...
    At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

You can find the entire section here at the official DirectGov Highway Code website... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069837

If you would like a recommendation for a rear light that does both steady and flashing and is very bright but still affordable, try the Blackburn Mars3 - it runs on 2x AAA batteries and can take rechargeable ones if needed.

EDIT : in summary, in the UK at night (or in poor daytime visibility) you MUST have a full set of amber pedal reflectors and a rear red reflector. You must also have (and be using) both a front and rear light but they can both be flashing. For preference, the front light should be steady.
  • =| my new magnesium wellgos didnt come with any - so i'm forced to break the law ^_^
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    pneumatic wrote:

So what about those with clipless pedals? - mine has no facility for reflectors - are the pedals themselves in essence illegal to be sold to me?

(Not that I care particularly, but worth asking and putting the thought out there!)
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Clipless pedals are currently illegal for UK night-time/poor weather use, I'm afraid, unless they can be fitted with an after-market set of reflectors (Shimano supply an over-pedal plastic reflector housing which is UK-law compliant).

If you need foot retention, you could opt for a full pedal with reflectors and a toe-clip/strap but in the mean time lobby your local Cycling Advocacy group for a review of the law - my clipless bike shoe has a patch of high visibility reflective plastic on the heel, for example. but by itself is not enough for UK night-time riding..
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    I never knew that pedal reflectors where law - wow, everyday is a schoolday as they say!

I wont be changing them though, my 2 rear lights and 800 lumen front light and a highviz jacket is enough for me to be seen I think.....

Once the police have stopped all the chavs on dodgy bmx's with no brakes and no lights in the middle of the road, then I may consider it(!)

(Small rant over!) :lol:
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • jezcc
    jezcc Posts: 111
    Pedal Reflectors:

I think that if you have a set of lights and aren't wearing black you are very unlikely to get done for no pedal reflectors.
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    surely the easy and better way to over come the lack of pedal reflectors is to wear a reflective leg bad on each leg. I find these more visible then the odd occasion I've seen pedals with reflectors.

Bar end LEDs is another great, the cars can then see the width of the bike easier, but having said all this, the car has big, bright lights. If they can't see someone on a bike, then should they be driving at night, as they could hit someone walking, or drive into a tree that had fallen into the road or how do they even stay on the road. I have no problem seeing cyclists when driving, so why should everyone else.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    A colleague got stopped by the Police for not having reflectors at night and fined too so I wouldn't be so quick to say "don't worry about it".

Would you care to give us more details on this?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    SPD-SL pedals come with reflectors (and the ability to fit if them don't come with them)

f_DSC00274800m_b4678e0.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    not much use facing that way!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    a_n_t wrote:
    not much use facing that way!

There's a reflector on both sides but unfortunately I couldn't afford a camera that would take pictures simultaneously on both sides.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    My problem is getting two sets of rear lights and reflector on the back. There just isn't enough room on the seat post to put them all so I break the law by considering my 2 rear lights more important than a reflector which is basically useless anyway when stuck between two sets of lights.

My last bike I just managed to be able to get them all on because my seat post was longer

Again I have the same problem on the bar at the front where I have my ayup front light, my cateye backup light fitting and cycle computer so no room for a white reflector at the front either but again I consider my light more important than a reflector which again serves no real purpose when stuck between my lights.
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    maander wrote:

Would you care to give us more details on this?

in my experience most people who get tickets for minor offences such as no lights (although ive never heard of one being issued for pedal reflectors) usually end up having one because:

1. They argue the toss to the point of getting one ,the usual argument is "why arent you out catching all the rapists / muderers and peados"

2.They are a known anti social delinquent and /or crooks who deserve to be penalised in any way the law can possibly penalise them

3. They are told to get off and walk the bike but 50 yards down the road jump back on and make a run/ride for it
  • +1 for that always be humble to the boys in blue cos they're a bunch of c'ya next thursdays :shock:
    You'll notice they wont bother the hoodlums as they know there wasting there time and tax payers money because they wont have the cash for a fine any-way so will end in court ie more expense to average joe and then blah blah blah sorry, be humble and act really sorry and they'll probably let you off 8)
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    +1 for that always be humble to the boys in blue cos they're a bunch of c'ya next thursdays :shock:
    You'll notice they wont bother the hoodlums as they know there wasting there time and tax payers money because they wont have the cash for a fine any-way so will end in court ie more expense to average joe and then blah blah blah sorry, be humble and act really sorry and they'll probably let you off 8)

agree and give it at least 2 streets before you leap back on your bike after being told to get off either that or if they speed off on the blues in the other direction you might be safe :lol:
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    SPD-SL pedals come with reflectors (and the ability to fit if them don't come with them)

f_DSC00274800m_b4678e0.jpg

Where did you get those reflectors? Did they come when you bought the SPD SL pedals?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • redddraggon
    gabriel959 wrote:

http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/9/9 ... 4678e0.jpg

Where did you get those reflectors? Did they come when you bought the SPD SL pedals?

I got them with the pedals.... I guess it was that the pedals were OEM (off ebay - normally the cheapest place for pedals), rather than retail
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I got the reflectors with my retail SPD-SLs. Problem is I use Eggbeaters for commuting, which is the only time I ride at night, so they're a bit useless.
  • doyler78 wrote:
    My problem is getting two sets of rear lights and reflector on the back. There just isn't enough room on the seat post to put them all so I break the law by considering my 2 rear lights more important than a reflector which is basically useless anyway when stuck between two sets of lights.

My last bike I just managed to be able to get them all on because my seat post was longer

Again I have the same problem on the bar at the front where I have my ayup front light, my cateye backup light fitting and cycle computer so no room for a white reflector at the front either but again I consider my light more important than a reflector which again serves no real purpose when stuck between my lights.

You're OK on the front reflector - it's required at the point of sale (with certain exclusions) but not for riding at night. However, your front lights are probably not BS approved (the AyUps certainly aren't) so you're stuffed anyway. On the rear, the reflector can be fitted to the off-side of the centre-line of the vehicle, IIRC, so you could fit one on your seat stay if you want to make some attempt to be legal. However, most of the better rear lights aren't BS approved so are not legal anyway...

_