Road Bike for 6'4" 100kg Person

merlinghnd
merlinghnd Posts: 106
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hello Everyone,

I am 6'4" tall and 100kg. I have £1000 to spend on a C2W scheme.

What is agood road bike for me, I have been looking at virtual top tubes etc but maybe someone has some good advice.

I have looked online at the Focus Cayo, I was wondering if there is something slightly longer.

Thanks for looking

I put this in under another forum on this site, but now looking, it fits better here, thanks for your patience

Comments

• Have you had a road bike before? Are you very fit to begin with?
    Are you resricted as to what shops you can buy the bike?
  • planet X SL Pro Carbon - there might still be a £999 offer available
    Ribble Neo Corsa - not sure if they do C2W
  • Wheels could be an issue?????
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for replying. I am pretty fit (although loosing af ew pounds would do me no harm!!), cycle to work and can do longer rides. Got a mountain bike and hybrid but want to try a road bike.

I am with Halfords C2W (shame) who do not supply Planet X bikes (or Planet X do not supply to them, not sure which)
  • scott speedster s30 20sp compact?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    You are going to need a 60cm frame at least :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Shortarse!

I'm 6'5" and my 61cm Spesh fits me just fine...
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    You are going to need a 60cm frame at least :)

Not necessarily!
    Im 6'4'' tall and all 3 of my scott road bikes are XL - 58's!
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I'm 6ft 5in and an 102kg.

I would go for a 7005 Alloy frame and get the best kit you can for the money. Avoid the cheaper carbon frames. I've broken 4 mid range carbonframes in 3 and bit years so a little nervous. These frame weren't the lightest or cheapest but designed and marketed for the strong powerful rider. Well they didn't last.

Wheels. I don't really have an issue with factory wheelset (well apart for Spinergy Xaeros and cheap rims and spokes). I have problems with handbuilts using the Mavic rims

Bars / Stem - Give carbon a miss. Although I don't think you will have this as an option on a £1000 bike.

Bike wise go with a manufacturer that offers a long / lifetime warrantry. Trek is one of the manufacturers that provides this.

Size wise I prefer a stretched riding position and use top tube lengths - I generally look for a 590mm top tube length with a 13cm stem but I do run inline seat posts. My top bike has a shorter top tube length but I run a 14cm stem length to compensate.
    Paul
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    brownbosh wrote:
    scott speedster s30 20sp compact?
    Don't they have Shimano WH wheels? Don't!!! As said, wheels might be an issue, and the cheap Shimano ones are crap, don't go near them if you're above average weight.
  • Lot of money to spend on a bike really so you've got to get it right, after months of deliberation and loads of helpful advise from th great folk on here i narrowed it down to;
    focus cayo because of the more racy ride ie 40 mph+ down the hills or the spec roubaix for the more up-right position ie less stress on back for longer rides. In the end i went for
    ......................................................................a Kuota Ksano off ebay for 800 quid cos it was a bargain lol
    seriously though my old cannondale R500 54 frame (i'm 6 ft) was far to small and my lower back used to scream whilst i was on the drops, think i've been very lucky but best to test i think :?