Racing, Hybrid, Touring?

bug-off
bug-off Posts: 24
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Guys,

I'm an inexperienced cyclist but am planning on getting into it and will be buying a bike in the next few weeks, budget about £300 (second hand from gumtree). Almost all my use will be fairly long cycles, I live in London and am planning to cycle to:

- Brighton
- Paris
- Bruge
etc

I may occassionally use it to commute in good weather but these weekend trips will be the main use.

So, given my budget, availability of each type on second hand places like gumtree and, most importantly, my uses - am I looking for a road/race bike, a touring bike or a hybrid?

Consider that i'll probably want to attach some (smallish) storage to the bike so I don't have to go the whole way with a big back pack on.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Maybe an Audax bike is ideal, a light tourer capable of good speed, comfort, and small loads on a rack (maybe 10kg ish). I have a Dawes Audax, 1997 vintage, it is Reynolds 532c steel, it cost me £650 back then, I reckon something similar would suit you and should be in the price range. I could sell you mine, but I love it too much!

Other audax bikes - Thorn, Hewitt, Ribble (though it is alu not steel).
  • Sorry to hijack this thread, but would a Giant SCR 3.0 be suitable for small tours? I think I'd want something that can offer the flexibility of taking panniers and a small bag for trips like Lands End/John O'Groats etc.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but would a Giant SCR 3.0 be suitable for small tours? I think I'd want something that can offer the flexibility of taking panniers and a small bag for trips like Lands End/John O'Groats etc.
    Yes, I expect so, if it has mudguard and rack eyelets (I think it does). My girlfriend tours with a Trek 1.2 and it is fine, not quite as comfy as a dedicated tourer, but lighter and more versatile if touring is just a small part of your riding.
  • I went for it Pinnacle Stratus 1.0, only a few months old and got it for £130. http://www.thecyclepeople.com/productdetails.asp?id=750

It's a Medium frame and I'm 6'0ft but seems comfortable enough, possibly a little small, but at £130 it's a good entry level for me.

It has mud guards but no rack/pann bags. Are these easy to fit? Do I need to get Pinnacle brand ones or should any bike shop have a selection of suitable options that fit easily?

I've heard panny bags (side) are best rather than on rack at back.