Lance is Back, Thank God I brought a Trek !!

996JAT
996JAT Posts: 94
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Well erm 1.7

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Lance is the reason I didn't buy a Trek.

And don't own a Discovery jersey !
  • Go hang your head in shame. The bloke won seven tours back to back after beating cancer. He never, ever tested positive despite being the most drug tested athlete on the planet and has been an inspiration for millions of people affected by cancer - how can that be a bad thing?
    In my opinion, if Lance has given just a single person enough strength and hope to fight the disease, then is still a hero.
    Personally, he is one of mine - Ian Rush has since been relegation to second spot because he never give me an autograph that time I stood outside Melwood in the rain for ages when I was just a nipper.
    As for the comment about Trek bikes, I own a 1.5 and a Madone 5.5. Best bikes that I have ever had and never had a problem with them. As me nan used to say, if you buy cheap, you buy twice - and I have never had to replace any of my Treks.
  • was he the drug taker who never got caught ?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    bombdogs wrote:
    Go hang your head in shame. The bloke won seven tours back to back after beating cancer. He never, ever tested positive despite being the most drug tested athlete on the planet

Was he the most tested? I doubt it, just because he said that it didn't mean it was true.

Lance fanbois really annoy me.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Drug taker or not he still won the Tour De France 7 times, which still can't be easy.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    996JAT wrote:
    Well erm 1.7

But what happens if he signs with a team that doesn't use Trek? Will Trek become just
    another "junk" bike? I heard he was going to ride steel, which is set to become the new "carbon, aluminum, titanium" as soon as he endorses it. The whole world will have to get new frames. Who would be caught dead on anything else? Good thing, I've got
    a jump on everyone else.

Dennis Noward
  • Soon to be joined by Landis if my spidy sense is tingling correctly.
  • I admit I'm new to cycling. This last year and year for the money i should have put 200 quid in and got a Focus Cayo.

But advertising works. Who wants to be Le Monde

I would love a Madone 6.9 Pro but with 500 miles of experience i guess too soon yet.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    CheeseyJoe wrote:
    Drug taker or not he still won the Tour De France 7 times, which still can't be easy.

alot easier than doing it clean...
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    deal wrote:
    CheeseyJoe wrote:
    Drug taker or not he still won the Tour De France 7 times, which still can't be easy.

alot easier than doing it clean...

Only if the others were all clean :D As it is he was up against proven drug takers. So even if he DID take something it was a level playing field...

Ive got no love for trek or lance armstrong, in fact Ive never paid attention to the tour de france, or cycle racing - I just like to ride my bike...
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Fru T Bunn wrote:
    Soon to be joined by Landis if my spidy sense is tingling correctly.

The papers this morning said Landis was returning in January 2009, just in time to help his old boss. I bet they'll needle him about that. Maybe they will need to?
  • er, it's easier to win the tour doped than clean regardless of what the other competitors are up to.
  • I agree with bombdogs he Lance did the buissness cant argue with that.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Was'nt it Lance who said "It's not about the bike"?

Jim :D
  • Glad I have the Lemond then. :)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    er, it's easier to win the tour doped than clean regardless of what the other competitors are up to.

How so? Say whatever you do gives you say 2mph more well if everyone else is also getting 2mph more, youve still got to give the extra to beat them. Whatever its doing for one person it will do for another, and the extra over the other peson still has to come from sheer hard work and better physical ability.
  • Oop's i was only having a laugh guys.

Is it not the case that Armstrongs genetics, lung capacity and something about his lack muscle cramps/fatigue that was his advantage other people and not drugs.

I'm sure i saw a documentry about it.

Mind you it was on the Discovery Channel.
  • bigjim wrote:
    Was'nt it Lance who said "It's not about the bike"?

Jim :D

Blah blah blah, give him a penny farthing then :roll:
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    996JAT wrote:
    Oop's i was only having a laugh guys.

Is it not the case that Armstrongs genetics, lung capacity and something about his lack muscle cramps/fatigue that was his advantage other people and not drugs.

I'm sure i saw a documentry about it.

Mind you it was on the Discovery Channel.

It was repeated on ITV4 whilst the Tour was on - 'The Science of Lance Armstrong'

I'm not sure 'documentary' was the right word, it was about as objective as one of those programs made by the Christian Fundamentalist Right, proving that God created the world in 7 days just like the bible says and Darwin was wrong

Fascinating stuff, but not 'science'.
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    CheeseyJoe wrote:

drug taker or not, caught or not?
    not saying lance is but those who do will always know there cheats and will always have it at the back of there mind ! i would rather be a clean rider who trys to give my all than a cheat? win or not caught or not your still a cheat?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • I guess his success could get a little boring if you've been following the sport for ages. Lack of any real competition. Same old face every year. But for newbies like me you can't help but look up to him. 7 Tours!!! Did he ever dope? Maybe, who'll ever know? But I do know if everyone here was flying around the place off our faces on a mix of amphetamine, EPO, testosterone and lucazade(should be banned) we wouldn't even finish a Tour. I doubt I'd even make it halfway up Mont Ventoux. Though maybe if someone rode in front dangling a big pie...... I digress.