Late season tour

waltho bum gravy
waltho bum gravy Posts: 153
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi, I'm trying to fit in a late season tour - in the next 4-6 weeks and I'm stuck for somewhere to go. I'm happy to travel with bike in tow and take my chances with the "low cost" carriers, but I would like some fairly decent weather with a challenging but not too advanced ride.

I'm looking at a 2-4 hour flight, with 3-5 days cycling staying in cheap hotels and covering 80-100kms a day. I usually go to France and whilst I'd be happy to tour there again I'd also be keen to try somewhere a bit different to "guarantee" the weather.

I'm thinking places in southern Spain and southern Italy might be good, but would appreciate any thoughts.

Comments

• Tenerife, with a side trip to La Gomera! :twisted:
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Thinking the same. I think Southern Spain is a bit surrounded by mountanous terrain making it hard work. I'm also thinking Italy. Be good to hear any responses.

Jim
  • Southern Spain or Italy (including Sicily) are usually warm and dry in October but anywhere there are mountains always stands a chance of rain. From past experience Sicily in Oct 03 was warm and dry except for a couple of short sharp thunderstorms; Valencia / Alicante in Oct 04 was very warm and dry & no rain at all.

I would probably choose eastern Spain (very benign climate) or Andalucia (good mountains). Both have lots of flights, plenty cheap and good hotels, good roads and a fairly bike friendly attitude.
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Crete can be very nice this time of year. 3 to 5 days you can see a good part of it. I would recomend the western part of the island.
  • What about island hopping in Greece?

Ionian islands gateway via flights to Corfu with Easyjet. Posiibility of cycling point to point as there are usually more than one port on these large islands.

Aegean via Athens. You don't even need to go via central Athens. New airport is a short ride away from Rafina - gateway by ferry to Cyclade islands. Great time to go - lots of grapes and figs in season, not as hot, but plenty sunny. Reasonable prices.

Just got back from my first cycle tour in Greece - it was great.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan