How can i get my 7yr old son interested.....

Rich9
Rich9 Posts: 1,635
edited September 2008 in Family & kids cycling forum
....in riding his bike?

Cant quite work out what he's got against. I thinks its a confidence thing. I have to admit for his age he is a long way behind his mates of a similar age, and some younger. he can ride on two wheels when he puts his mind to it, but generally only in a straight line!

Any pointers on bulling him up a bit?

thanks
2014 Whyte T-129S

Comments

• Take him riding to interesting places. Kids aren't interested in 'luverly scenery' get him in your local woods or a bit of swoopy single track. I don't mean anything technical but something he can get a bit of adrenaline rush on, and explore his own limitations.
    Oh and make sure he gets straight back on after a fall.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Mud, more mud, not too far and a promise of an ice cream.
  • How often do you ride your bike and how do you return after a ride. You son will have a perception of this. Of course he will take in everything that you do/say so if he feels/picks up that cycling is hard and exhausting in a negative way although you may not mean that at all - however
    he will feel that way. Forcing the issue will get you nowhere - as you already know.
    A possible way is ot have a look at some DVD's whatever may float his boat (MTB, Road etc). Spend time cleaning /repairing/fixing doing dad and lad things. Then go out togther , take it really easy, do what the others say above and most of all have fun as a Dad and Son - it is SO rare these days. Go for it!

It is never too late to have a happy childhood!

Zonc
  • Rich9 wrote:
    ....in riding his bike?

Cant quite work out what he's got against. I thinks its a confidence thing. I have to admit for his age he is a long way behind his mates of a similar age, and some younger. he can ride on two wheels when he puts his mind to it, but generally only in a straight line!

Any pointers on bulling him up a bit?

thanks

Richard Dunn Sports Centre, every Saturday, 10.30 - 12.30, Kids Saturday Bike Club, fun, skills and even a bit of kids racing. Ring centre on 01274 307822 to get organiser's contact details.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks Mike
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Go with one or more of their mates, promise them a cafe stop sort of thing and take a drink and a snack. (I always carry wet wipes and plasters for gravel rash type spills!)

My youngest daughter who's nine is just getting into it and yesterday afternoon 4 dads and 4 daughters aged 9 - 11 did a 12 mile round trip on largely traffic free and partly muddy puddled tracks with a stop half way at a pub.

It took about 3 hrs including about 1 hour at the pub and ten minutes of bike fettling at various points.

The kids enjoyed each others company and we dads enjoyed it too!
    Rich, my 7 yr old was exactly the same so I decided to buy him a decent little MTB (GT Chucker) with gears and get rid of his single speed. Everyone told me this was the wrong idea as he didn't need gears and if he couldn't ride the single speed he'd never ride the bigger bike with gears.

How wrong they were. Took him over the park and stuck it on the grass in 1st gear and pushed him off. He learned to ride that afternoon. Even when he did fall the grass made for a soft landing.

In hindsight I think his legs weren't strong enough for the other bike, as soon as the ground went slightly upwards or if he rode on grass he didn't have the strength to cycle and fell off. Also the brakes on his previous bike weren't that great so that didn't help his confidence either.

Couldn't believe it as within 2 weeks he was riding 5 miles around Windsor park.

So my tips are good brakes, gears and a big stretch of level grass for him to learn on.

Good luck.