Name says it all but this could be interesting....

CompleteNewbie
CompleteNewbie Posts: 28
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Guys, Just ordered my first road bike a BIANCHI 1885 with Veloce (Please no posts saying I should of got something else, its already done!!)

Anyway, I have no idea what i'm going to try and acheive yet apart from I can't think of a more enjoyable way to keep fit. The thing is I have a strong feeling that i'm going to become a little obsessed and will want to compete a some level as soon as i'm up to scratch.

But this is the question, does anyone know a good guide, be it a site or book which I can use as a training manual to track my progress and give me an idea of what I need to aim for.

Also at what point will a trip computer be needed, I feel straight away to track early progress, but you views please.

And lastly for when the weathers bad i'm not to sure how i'll feel about getting the Celese all dirty yet, therefore Turbo Trainer?

Please take a minute to help me and then I promise that as I get more experinced i'll pass it on to my fellow newbies as they join, I swear!!!

Comments

• Not a clue on the training manual - tried many, but never had the patience to read and follow it properly - but good choice of bike :-)

Re riding in the wet, raceblades will keep the worst off. Not as good as full guards, but better than the boredom of a turbo :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • :D
    IMHO, a nice bike. I'd ride it in the rain but not in dilute salt solution tho'!
    I'd also persevere to keep it clean.
    Now I've said that, let battle commence (see other threads on cleanlines, bike maintenance, chains etc... :shock: :lol:
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • Thanks for the quick replys guys, have just been checking the other posts and another dude has been discussing clubs.

It seems that a computer is definately necessary to judge whether good enough to join in with them, agree?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I think you want a computer regardless :) Yes, it is useful but it's a tool, not a performance enhancer in its own right.

The key thing here is ride your bike. Regarding turbos, they are desperately boring - we all lvoe riding but it becomes abundantly clear that the sitting on a bike turning your legs bit is not one of the things we enjoy - it's the air, the wind, the variation, the roads, the sights, the challenges of the real world. Ride as much as you can and only if you become aware that you're not going to want to cycle all winter, say, consider a turbo.
  • i've got a book called the 'cyclist's training manual', it's got information on all aspects of training and technique, as well as some specific programmes (eg. for road race, 25M TT, track racing) to follow,
    i've can't say how much faster it's made me as i've not been cycling for too long, but it seems very comprehensive, and i've no doubt i'm a better rider because of it
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    There are some poeple who enjoy riding a turbo, but they are few and far between. Bottom line seems to be, start riding the turbo when you've quit "riding" the bike, and started "training" on it, otherwise, wait for a nice day to get on your bike!

Turbo training gives a quality workout, but it's boring as heck, you can take the edge off if you listen to music or watch a film if it's a long easy ish session, but fundamentally it's often difficult to get motivated enough to get on the damn thing.

Start looking for goals, these will help you stay motivated throughout the winter. Work out what you want to do, TTs/RRs/Track/Sportifs. You don't have to commit 100% to the decision, but if you get something in your mind then it will be easier to get out on the bike.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Getting ahead of myself (haven't even picked the bike up yet!) but.....

TT's - Time trials, short distances but massive speeds??

RR's - Road racing i'm gussing?? What sort of distances?

Track poss in future but not a goal i'd be interested in yet.

Sportif's - the equivalent of a marathon?

If i'm correct on above then i'd lean towards time trials as it would appear easiier to set targets, am I wrong?

Cheers guys.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Yep TTs=Time trials, distances range from 10 miles, to 24 hr (OK that's not a distance but you get the point!) Training requires being able to keep a speed of 20mph+ for the set distance/time.

RRs range in distance, but you'd probably start at around 25 miles to 50 miles. Training requires being able to cope with short periods of hard riding and sprinting out of corners/closing gaps in the peleton. It also requires being able to ride at a reasonable pace say 18mph for perhaps an hour on your own without killing yourself. It also requires good bike handling skills

Track requires a new bike, and it can be difficult to find velodromes locally.

Sportifs are sort of like marathons, but more fun! They require you to ride long distances (around 100miles) at around 15 mph or more, usually over the biggest hills in the area! They can be enjoyable or horrible depending on your outlook.

TT's would probably be the easiest to set targets for, as racing/sportifs can be unpredictable etc.

The figures here are quite rough, but hopefully you've got some ideas.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Veloce 1885 is a fine bike, you've definitely made a good decision.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • If you want to compete try joining your local club. They may well have starter/ social rides or recovery rides so you can see how you are against others then the club will be able to advise as you get faster. they will also probably hold local TTs (time trials) and that would be a good start as you are really competing against yourself and can guage your own improvement.

If you are thinking about buying a turbo trainner you could instead just buy a cheap secondhand bike to take out in the rain, salt, snow and then you don't have to worry so much about it. Get something with a good size frame but don't fret too much about the weight etc as lugging a great heavy steel frame round all winter makes it feel so fast when you get back on the best bike. Over time you will also pass down bits like tyres, cassetts, wheels etc until eventually you get a new best bike and rebuild the Bianchi as a winter hack.
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.
  • Jez, many thanks i'll get a computer and track my speeds over a route and hopefully see my avg speed and overall time come down over the next couple of months. Then look to join a club in the new year.

Red, I thought you'd agree, as haveing been researching it for the last month you appear to be pro Bianchi in the forums, cheers buddy.
  • Cheers Zen, I've checked out their sites but near me the only club I can find is a real professional outfit.

Anybody aware of a beginner friendly cycling club near Rochester in Kent?
  • Well time trials are painful and tedious if you ask me but they are a useful way to gauge your improvement over time as your times for a 10 or 25 slowly come down by a few seconds on each run. Road racing is wildly fun but its a whole different ball game and you need a racing license, and you need to join british cycling and it all costs money. to start with you would be category 4 which tend to be short and sweet but quite dangerous as they have people riding in them who have never ridden in a group before and wouldn't know a racing line if it bit them.
    er...Thats it reallly
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • pete reid does a couple of books black for road white for turbo :lol:
    dafty d
  • Cheers daft, i'll have a look.

Boybiker - you've just sold me on the racing - speed and a hint of danger...... i'm in!!!