Aldi track pump – BEWARE!!

sem69
sem69 Posts: 106
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
My cheapo Aldi track pump exploded this morning and nearly took my head off!
I started pumping and after a few seconds there was a massive BANG and the top part shot off like a rocket! Turns out it was only glued on! I'm just glad my face wasn't in the way.

Serves me right for buying such cheap cr@p, their clothing's ok but at least that won't kill you if it's faulty!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Comments

• Same thing happened to me! I managed to screw mine back together and I'm now very careful when pumping. If I feel the pump start backing up I lean on it and get it off the tyre ASAP!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Snap! I was pumping away happily when the whole lot started to back up at around 100psi and then BANG! near well blew my face off, but thankfully clipped the bike and shot about 30ft into the sky taking the air line with it! :shock: . When I examined it that top section was only held on with one of the thinnest threads I've every seen.

If you've got one BE CAREFUL!!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Guys, maybe you should get them recalled - sounds like a broken nose waiting to happen.

I am all for buying cheap crap but you gets what you pay for :)

(indeed my own tract pump is a *gasp* Giant...)
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    biondino wrote:
    Given your pathalogical hatred I'm amazed!

I bought one of the LIDL pumps, a couple of weeks back, but haven't used it yet. I'll check the seal before I get stuck in. Thanks for the heads up. (or paranoidly held miles from said pump as the case will be).
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Just cos it's cheap, doesn't mean it's not "fit for the purpose" it was intended....comes under the sale of goods act 1979

Get yer money back, you're entitled :)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • biondino wrote:

I dread to think what a tract pump is :lol:

Aldi/Lidl pumps are crap in my opinion. Cheap but not if you have to buy a better one in a few weeks.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Dont bother spending pennies when you know you should be spending pounds :wink:

My Bontranger one cost me about 25 quid and is awesome. It aint that much and its built like a tank
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    ive got a ten quid tesco one and it seems to do the job, although i might take a bit more care now as its a cheapo..
  • downfader wrote:

My Bontranger one cost me about 25 quid and is awesome. It aint that much and its built like a tank

I'm more then willing to spend pounds (tens, hundreds and even thousands!) on my cycling habit but unfortunately my wife thinks there are more important things to spend money on :roll:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    downfader wrote:

I'm more then willing to spend pounds (tens, hundreds and even thousands!) on my cycling habit but unfortunately my wife thinks there are more important things to spend money on :roll:

I could use this opportunity to make all kinds of ktchen jokes.. :lol:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I am all for buying cheap crap but you gets what you pay for
    With this thing, yes. I bought an Aldi track pump and it wouldn't work. It was poorly made and didn't inspire any confidence, so I certainly wasn't going to request a replacement. No-quibble refund on production of receipt. Have since bought a Bontrager track pump which is miles better.

Other Aldi stuff is better value, including some of the clothes and the seat pack I picked up in the Spring (which included a useable multitool).

Some expensive stuff isn't that much better. Caveat emptor and keep your receipts.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • JMC39
    JMC39 Posts: 38
    Hmmm, I bought one of these. Will be careful when using it in the future!
    FNC 13 - Nobbly MTB, Pannier, Normal clothes, and GPS!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    No-one reported this to trading standards ?

It's dangerous, isn't fit for purpose and needs to be withdrawn.

Contact your local council and ask for the trading standards dept.
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    You can get an Edinburgh own-range one (Revolution) for £15. It does the job! :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra