Indexing issue - Shimano and Wippermann compatibility????

mwctsdad
mwctsdad Posts: 5
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
My (not so) LBS have recently replaced my rear 12-25t 105 cassette and Ultegra chain to a 11-23t 105 cassette and Wippermann chain.

Can someone please explain why the gears are not indexing smoothly?!!??

I'd describe myself as a novice when it comes to bike maintainence because my LBS are usually faultless.......I've tried the adjusting barrel as advised but the problem persists (primarily through the middle sprockets). Could it be a compatibility issue? I hope not, because when the gears do engage, the drivetrain seems much smoother with the Wippermann on board!!

Why don't I take the bike back to my LBS I hear you say - I would love to, but it is in Wales and I am in Surrey. If there's a trustworthy shop close to Woking, I'd love to hear about it!!!!

HELP!!!!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    first off. everything is the same speed compatable?

as the problem is in the middle of the cassette makes it sound like an indexing problem.

what the shop should have done after fitting a new chain and cassette is reset top and bottom stop screws and adjusted the B screw closer to the cassette.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    mwctsdad wrote:
    Can someone please explain why the gears are not indexing smoothly?!!??

It'll be because the LBS haven't indexed it properly, they probably rushed it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Thanks both - assuming it's the indexing, is this something a novice can resolve or would you recommend a trip to an 'expert'?
  • nicklouse
    have a good read of the info on parktools. (linky in sig) and then have a think.

it can frustrate some people to distraction but.....

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • redddraggon
    It's definitely worthwhile to be able to index your own drivetrain.

Sheldon Brown also offers a guide to indexing.

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • discovered tonight indexing a road bike is a b45tard, i can do mtbs no messing but this was finicky as hell
    You just gotta peddle
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It is no different.
  • redddraggon
    Bengdogg wrote:
    discovered tonight indexing a road bike is a b45tard, i can do mtbs no messing but this was finicky as hell

Indexing a road bike is easier, a double and short cage rear mech makes it easier.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • A while ago I 'fiddled' with those screws on my bike and after some frustrating hours not getting anywhere I (in desperation - I needed the bike the next day...) phoned my LBS. I took it in (stuck in one gear) and received the proper amount of abuse in a busy shop due to me.
    I made bl---y sure I watched how to do it properly.
    In this case the problem was never going to be fixed by me 'cos it was due to the front of the front derailleur having been knocked and therefore twisted 5mm inwards. :shock:
    Its satisfying getting it right yourself tho'.
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • nicklouse
    John.T wrote:
    It is no different.

on the rear yes, but on the front you have the trim options that can catch people out if they are not aware of it.

But yes they are the same.
  • John.T wrote:
    It is no different.

I know but for some reason i had a really hard time i think its cos the shifters are different with more travel in the lever before they shift, i need a bike stand as indexing upside down isnt a great way to do it
    You just gotta peddle