Complete noob

bfreeman0
bfreeman0 Posts: 119
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Well I've recently been getting into mountain biking. And don't know much about my own bike, since my dad spray painted it silver so can't identify the parts atm.

Basically I want to know where in the Bedfordshire area would be a good place to start or if I could just train a bit on the tarmac.

I would ask some more questions but I'm kinda tired so thanks for help

Comments

• Hi,

I just got my bike on Friday and went out for the first ride yesterday.

I think that training on tarmac is a good start. I started with a 10 mile ride to get going, good to have some hills then there as well to really give you that work out. Only problem I have now is im a bit saddle sore today :(
    Returning to MTB'ing after 13 year break: Merida Matts Sub 60d

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59 ... G_1243.jpg
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    There's enough dirt on some of my local lanes to make them almost off-road. They're quiet and mostly traffic-free and can be quite entertaining.
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Well bfree,

You're not far from Chicksands, so get a feel for riding around there - most of the red route is suitable and you can always stop off at the jump or 4X areas for some inspiration. Failing that, get an OS 1:250000 map and start planning loops from home with quiet lanes and the odd bridleway. You've a lot of countryside around you, don't be afraid to explore it. As your confidence and fitness builds, extend the loops or join them together. If you get the bug, get posting for bike buddies and route suggestions further from home. Just remember to take tools, spares and a mobile with you!
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    if you want to ride on tarmac the route from the Danish camp to Beford via Priory park is a cycleway which i think is about 10miles if you cycle there and back.
    Some info HERE
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • thanks for the tips. I've just got to unlock my bike which may take a while since I want to go on my own for now, as my family will take me round the same trails which are boring