What's the 'other' event in Sussex, this September?

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
A colleague mentioned an event at the end of Sept, that ISN'T the Southern Sportive, but in similar part of North-West Sussex.

Does anyone know what he's going on about?.
Apparently it's in this weeks Cycling Weekly, but my local newsagents has sold out.
And google isn't being very helpful.

Ta muchly.

Comments

• PostieJohn
    Cheers Jason that fit's in with our brief conversation, this morning.

The question now is:-

Do I get all 'billy big bollox' and say 'yeah lets do the 80 miler'.
    Even though me and my bike have been strangers, since July!.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    The South Downs Challenge is a nice event. Did it in 2006, missed it last year and planning to do it this year.
    Paul
  • PostieJohn
    Cool, I did the 100 mile Southern Sportive, this time last year, but I'm no where near that condition at the moment.

But the 50 miles looks a little downwards, after the spike.

Death or glory, time :lol:
  • I'm hoping to do the Southdowns Challenge 80 miler having done the 70 mile Test Valley tour at the end of August. Although the route looks very hilly on the elevation chart it says that it is just over 1000m elevation, which is about 500m less than the TVT claimed which I didn't have a problem with.

Another step on the way to getting to my target of doing a 100 miler. I just hope the weather for it is reasonable.

Looking at the website it looks like the only way to pre-enter is by post - is that right?
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • pjm-84
    Yep - postal entry I'm afraid.

The course is quite quick. A couple of climbs but nothing too bad or too long.
    Paul
  • Well, I still intend to do the Southdowns Challenge on sunday (especially as weather looks good), but never got around to entering so I guess I just turn up early for entry on the line?

I think I'm ging to be realistic about time - I'm aiming for anything under 6 hours but am hoping I can tag along with a couple of groups along the way if possible to do it a bit quicker.

Say hi if you see me - silver Spesh Allez Sport wearing black/white jersey and yellow helmet/gloves. Like this!
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • Can anyone supply some basic start details I need to know for on the day entry, as the website doesnt seem to list start location and time.

thanks,
  • On the day registration starts at 8am I read, with the ride starting from 9am.

The ride starts in a village called Southwick near Waterlooville http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=southwick,+hampshire&ie=UTF8&ll=50.875744,-1.107044&spn=0.055243,0.21904&z=13. It's only a small village so the start shouldn't be too hard to find!

Hope that helps.
  • pjm-84
    Look for the D Day Memorial Hall.

It just off the main street or about 4 o'clock down from point A on the Map on the previous posting.
    Paul
  • PostieJohn
    Me and Wifey are all set, not that we will ride together.
    So a la Hornetto, if you see a little lass on the worlds smallest Cannondale, that has been modified even smaller, feel free to say hello, to Mrs Postie. (The out of condition fat bloke next to her will be me)
  • PostieJohn
    Well what a great event. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
    It was really well signed and marshalled, the start/finish was very well organised, a top notch day.
    Obviously the weather helped.
  • pjm-84
    Yep

Passed your wife and told her I recognised the bike..... sure is a small Cannondale although made worse by the fact I was riding a 62cm Trek (non sloping)
    Paul
  • PostieJohn
    Mrs Postie here, I remember you saying about my bike to me, was it at the finish ? I didn't realise you were talking to me tho so sorry if I seemed anti social ! I hope you had a good ride :)
  • pjm-84
    Just after the first checkpoint.

Yep had a good ride, great weather, good company and a nice route. Proceeds go to charity... what more can you ask for in a sportive.
    Paul
  • PostieJohn
    Oh yeah I remember now I think. I finished in 3 hrs and 46mins in the end, I was pleased with that for me as haven't done much riding lately. Am keen to do another soon. I was pretty slow, to slow to join a group up the hills, and can't believe that I even had a few people wheel sucking me in the last 20 miles. Loved the last bit tho a real chance to spin along and get that average speed up, fun fun fun. :lol:
  • Did the 80 miles (well, closer to 85 in the end after missing a turn early on) in 6:32. Really enjoyed the day, a lot hillier than I thought it would be and the last 20 miles were quite painful, but I'm pleased to have done it.

Really nice to cycle with a couple of people for a little while - met a nice lady called Sandra who stuck with me for 26 miles before I told her that I didn't mind if she dropped me (eventually she finished an hour ahead of me!!). Later on a chap called Martyn who I had started alongside but had also taken the wrong turn cycled with me for a bit before he decided to do the 50 miles instead of the 80 at the spilt. Then I didn't see anyone until the feed stop at about 66 miles.

Pleased to see from the results that I didn't have the slowest time either, although I think that a fair few people missed the same turn as me (it was the only poorly signed turn on the whole course).

Overall a really good day. All I need now is lower gears on my bike and more training!!