Cycle clubs, fitness and getting fitter knowing how fit to b

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Ok, a number of times I mentioned this but I would love to join a cycle club (am I too old to do this as I am in my mid 20s?). My trouble is three fold:

(i) Not being fit enough

(ii) Not knowing how fit I actually have to be

(iii) Rubbish at training by myself

Its a catch 22 because most cycle clubs I've seen imply that if you can't ride 50miles at a moderate pace (I assume 20mph) then the club isn't for you. However, I would join a club for the purpose of training and getting fitter so that I can ride 50miles at a moderate pace.

Is there a (friendly) cycle club in South London that has group rides to develop people who want to get fit and become competitive and then once at that level actually compete. I leave in Norbury, which is between Croydon and Brixton.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Hi Don - don't worry about being too old, or not fit enough: clubs cater for all levels/ages. Perhaps start off by going on a Sunday run, which tend to be more leisurely, and then you can gauge how you fit with the others.
  • I reckon she's just trying to find out if you are in fact a gay man. Go on answer yes and see what happens...
  • i think addiscombe club is near you and apparently they do a good 'club run'
    its around 25 miles

http://www.addiscombe.org/features/cometryit.htm
  • I was in a similar situatnon to you last year.

Kingston Wheelers were the most local club to me, So I went to their wesite where there are some documented runs they do. I then worked up to being able to do the easiest run without needing an ambulance, and then steadily increased my pace.

1st time I tired I almost collapsed after 15 miles. I had to lie down for 15 minutes.

When I felt I could cover the distance I went on a club run with the club. It was hard damn hard, but everyone was very kind, constantly encouraging , and waiting at the top of the hills for me.

I still struggle to keep up on the hills, but I'll get there in the end.

When I manager to get out on a club run I will try and tide with the sloewst rider (when it's not me) or at lest not get to far ahead so they have a wheel to aim at.

BTW I'm in my 40s

PM me if you want more.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ok, a number of times I mentioned this but I would love to join a cycle club (am I too old to do this as I am in my mid 20s?). My trouble is three fold:

(i) Not being fit enough

Its a catch 22 because most cycle clubs I've seen imply that if you can't ride 50miles at a moderate pace (I assume 20mph) then the club isn't for you. However, I would join a club for the purpose of training and getting fitter so that I can ride 50miles at a moderate pace.

A 20 mph AVG over 50 miles isn't a "moderate" pace - it's a fraction off TT pace - if you can Solo ride a "flatish" or "undulating" 50 miler at 15 -16 mph AVG you should be able to handle a moderate club run.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Mettan - I'm glad to hear that! I sent an email to a local club today and am hoping for a reply.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Totally agree with Mettan, 20mph is a good pace over 50 miles. I went out for an undulating solo 50 miler yesterday (1 big hill), and averaged 17.5mph which I was very pleased with. When you are in a group I have heard that it is also easier because you are more shielded from the wind. Incidentally I also met some club cyclists on the way, and they invited me to join the Cheltenham Touring Club, which sounds like a good idea. I've only recently bought a road bike so I've been looking for a club to join. Apparently the faster group averages 15-18mph..

Best of luck with finding a club to suit you as well..
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Fastest ever club ride I've been on we managed to get an average of 18mph.

I've done others at 17.5 or so, but never over 18mph, unless of course it was part way through a long run, like half way through a 100 mile run my speed was at that point rather higher, probably about 20mph, but that was going flat out and I just couldn't sustain it.

In our club if you ride at that kind of speed for long enough you get a ticking off from the Captain, he will be correct as its no good racing too hard and then burning out 40 miles from home.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    It's so much easier riding in the wheel. When I first rode with a club I just stuck at the back and found the going really easy, I thought I was amazing, they all had to watch in awe as I danced away up the hills. Then I got cocky and started going on the front and ever since it's been a downward spiral. Now I'm the one that everyone charges past at the foot of the hill and gets left behind at the sign posts. My competitive aspirations have declined drastically.

It was nice while it lasted.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ..... am I too old to do this as I am in my mid 20s?

:cry:
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

(i) Not being fit enough

Mid 20s is probably a lot younger than most. In my club I think there are more members racing who started club cycling after 30 than people who have been at it since their teens.

You don't need any level of fitness - ask around, find a club that sounds like they offer what you want and then turn up. It does depend partly on your character what kind of club or ride you prefer. If you want to go out on training rides with the racing fraternity then you may have to accept being shelled out and riding back on your own at some point - if that isn't for you then a steady paced club run that waits for riders is what you are after - but you'll have to accept that there may be riders slower than you and you can't just blast off on the hills and leave them. There will be lots of different clubs and rides out there each with it's own way of doing things it's really just a case of getting stuck in and trying a few out and seeing which you prefer. Remember as the newcomer it's really up to you to find the ride that suits you rather than expecting everyone else to change their normal ride.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.