XC lighting help

2»

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    One fenix or possibly use the TK11 R2 which is a little brighter, and some rechargable 18650 batteries with a charger.
  • Thanks for that information, very interesting - meets the criteria. The batteries and charger elements cost what they cost regardless of the light solution, the mount I could do on the cheap as per Northwind's post..........hmmm.

Anyone else got a recommendation? £57.95 is still quite a bit of wedge in these cost conscious times.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I have a set of Ay-Up's having switched from Dinotte. I thought the Dinotte's were good (their customer service is also excellent) but the Ay-Up's are streets ahead, particularly at the lower price.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • They look great, but the price is in the region of £125 for the roadie setup. Of course the Hope is £81 and still requires batteries and a charger taking it to £100 and the Fenix TK11 plus batteries, charger and mount is £95-ish.....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've got an unlit stretch on my commute, through the winter I was just using a pair of tesco AA crees, one with the collimator removed... Worked pretty well. It's not bright, but it's adequate. And no glaring issues, I'm never too happy using the P7s on the road as the beam's so broad, you just know it's going to annoy someone.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Unless anyone's got a cheaper version of the Fenix it's looking like that plus charger, batteries and some DIY mount arrangement is the leader around £85-ish.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    This is quite a bit cheaper than the Fenix - not the same quality but may have better performance, used by many forum members.

Available from Dealextreme

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/mountain_bi ... w_led.html
  • ride_whenever
    the p7 is cheaper.

as for the mounting, the block thing they sell is useless, my flatmate has it and his light flops all over the place. I've zip tied mine into an old cateye which works much better.
  • alfablue
    the p7 is cheaper.

as for the mounting, the block thing they sell is useless, my flatmate has it and his light flops all over the place. I've zip tied mine into an old cateye which works much better.
    The Lockblock works well, but if it is on bare metal it will slip - solved this with some inner tube glued on the bar. On my road bike it goes over the bar tape and it works perfectly. It is actually the best light mount I have ever had - quick, simple, reliable.
  • ride_whenever
    yeah, off road, not so good.
  • Alfablue, you've come up trumps on the price front with the SSC P7. Light, charger and batterries for under £40. Not sure what the run time is on the lower of the two settings though, anyone got a figure?

With Northwind's cheap mount and clip method it's half the price of the Fenix. Of course overall it's not as polished a package, but....
  • alfablue
    edited April 2009
    I think you need to take 2 batteries with you for decent run time.

Cougie on here is a big fan, he "graduated" from Fenix (which was the big thing in 2007/08 ).
  • I've PM'd him a couple of questions. Thanks for your help everyone, really very useful.
  • Northwind
    The run time on low power is, as far as I can tell, forever :lol: But on teh downside, it doesn't make very much light- it makes the things useful as torches (since full power is just insane for torch use) but not great for biking. I use them all or nothing generally.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Ah. Is the lower setting enough for town riding?
  • the lower setting on the P7 is ok for town riding and still brighter than my cheapo cateye which it has replaced, the high setting is just too much for urban use but perfect when offroad :D
  • Northwind
    Yeah, commuting lights aren't for lighting the road mind, they're for lighting the lights ;) I'm not sure how good the P7s are as visibility aids, possibly not great.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I've got a a P7 with bits on the way from Dealextreme. I'm currently commuting for 35 minutes starting at 20:50 so by the time they turn up I'll be needing it at least on the low setting...as it gets darker it'll come into its own. Thanks for the help all.