downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited September 2008 in The Crudcatcher
:shock: Holy C*** Batman! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m68ad0ppGKo

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    that's fu**ing shameful, ad frankly, disgusting.
    Man, ambulance drivers get treated like crap. I've witnessed several people refuse to get out of the way, or worse, when room is cleared for them, other drivers dart down the newly created passage in front of the ambulance.
    On top of that, I learnt on Thursday, that most of the time, there's only two ambulances covering the entire north-west corner of Wales :shock: 15 minute target response time out of the window, eh?
    just hope you don't have a heart attack.

But, on a brighter note, haven't those belgians got some tuneful ambulances! It almost sounds like an ice-cream truck :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Somebody ought to add a baseline to that siren and some vocals too :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • downfader
    I've worked in hospital catering for 13 years and so have heard similar stories from the pros there. Here in the uk we're getting something like several hundred more cars on the roads every week, iirc. It cant continue or we'll go the same way as the Belguim clip. :(
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Ironically this is a good advertisment for what I've always thought about cycle lanes, that provision of them artificially restricts the width of a road and maybe courses a hold up for the poor drivers (insert crocodile tears icon), but can in an emergency allow traffic to part Red sea-like to allow an ambulance or other emergency vehicle to go down the middle.

But its not always like the train. Y'know, room for more passengers but the b*starts standing inside won't move down to make more room, so the train takes off leaving a couple of hundred on the platform? (My introduction to SW Trains 9 years ago)

If the road is chockers with traffic and the side roads are too, then there is nowhere for the traffic to go even if it wanted to, and someone will soon enough die as a result. Mind you, I guess that is why the ambo's have motorcycle first response units, and use air ambulances to move people just a few miles to hospital in London.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Living, and working in a rural area, I still do a doubletake when someone from London tells me their 5 mile commute takes an hour or so.

I travel 12 miles to work, and usually make it in 15-20 minutes by car, or in about 30 minutes on a bike (I take it nice and steady so as not to get there in a sweaty mess), and even then I get infuriated at the traffic on the road! :lol:
  • Them magic trees get everywhere :lol:
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • downfader
    Living, and working in a rural area, I still do a doubletake when someone from London tells me their 5 mile commute takes an hour or so.

I travel 12 miles to work, and usually make it in 15-20 minutes by car, or in about 30 minutes on a bike (I take it nice and steady so as not to get there in a sweaty mess), and even then I get infuriated at the traffic on the road! :lol:

Its like that here with the school runs. Someone was moaning at work about their commute by car taking over an hour. I'd presumed they'd come in from outside the city but it turned out they lived just down the road (less than 2 miles away). Something to do with the roadworks we've been having (because all the cars are destroying out roads :roll: ), I told them to STFU and walk to work.

They dont mention the traffic to me now. :lol:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I think the guys on foot got there in half the time :shock:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Belgian ambulances sound a bit like ice cream trucks.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • that is absolutely appalling really...

bike paramedics and helicopters are the way forward in busy towns...

but why isnt the rising cost of oil driving (no pun intended ;-)) motorists off the road!?!?!

i would hate to be bleeding to death and then told the ambulance would be there in about an hour due to traffic and roadworks!!!

those commuters should learn to get some common sense and get up earlier and then walk or bike to work!
    Hardtails aren't called hardcore for no reason

Giant STP: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996804/
    Spesh Hardrock: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996822/
  • downfader
    but why isnt the rising cost of oil driving (no pun intended ;-)) motorists off the road!?!?!!

I've asked that same question of people who moan and b**** about fuel costs constantly. They just seem to swallow it and get on with it, and I rather suspect due to their lazyness or ignorance they'll keep on doing that. Its the same with credit cards - why pay the interest when you have the cash in your pocket..?

You've just reminded me of something... :)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    those commuters should learn to get some common sense and get up earlier and then walk or bike to work!

That's not a very fair comment. Most people would love to get to work faster and more ceaply but due to the absolute mess this country is in due to very short term vote grabbing policies (from both the main parties) we're in the mess that we're in.

The few times I've cycled to work I have gotten up at 6 in the morning tot ride the 15 miles to work, and I do it becuase I love cycling, saving the £ 5 it costs in fuel doesn't make it worth on it's own (oh and it takes 3 times as long as the car journey).

Personally I was quite surprised at how the cars did get out of the way as soon as they could, the main problem was due to the amount of cars, parked cars and junctions. All things the local council should be responsible for improving.

When our government or any other European government really gets serious about reducing congestion and addressing the pollution then you'll see people actually want to use alternative transport becauses it's better.

Pricing people out of their cars isn't going to work, to make it expensive enough to stop people driving would mean all people on lower incomes couldn't drive and there's no way this pathetic government would risk that many votes

Rant over.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I would love to cycle to work unfortunately I live in a small town called Melksham and work in Bristol so its about 30mile one way with massive hills.

Luckily for me my fuel is paid for by the company so the fuel costs doesnt really effect me too much, however the traffic itself when you hit Bristol is an absolute nightmare :cry:
    Returning to MTB'ing after 13 year break: Merida Matts Sub 60d

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59 ... G_1243.jpg