Thetford Forest - Black Run times

Trekster
Trekster Posts: 29
edited October 2008 in MTB rides
Hit Thetford Forest for the first time the other week and checked out the Black run.

Did a couple of runs, both just over 50 mins.

What's a good time, so I've got something to aim for?

Comments

• Ed 81
    Ed 81 Posts: 200
    Not sure what time we do it as we stop and do the beast a couple of times. Have you checked out the red route. We had never bothered before but when we did we realised what we were missing. Very under rated
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    I do the black then red, total time 2hr 15mins which isn't to bad I guess as I'm 44 and have one leg :)

Agree with the above the red is much better especially the top section with all the berms you can really wizz round there :)
  • last Time i did the black route I did it in 52 mins i do prefer doing the red route haven't timed that one :D
  • othy
    othy Posts: 4
    me and my mates normally run the red route in 55 but have done it in 42 mins twice :roll:
  • othy wrote:
    me and my mates normally run the red route in 55 but have done it in 42 mins twice :roll:

I have done it in 41minutes 3 times....sorry couldn't resist (Ive never been)
    "Convoy?!, Micheal your spending you time with someone who uses a collective term for a single vehicle!"
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    is this full red with 10km loop as well or just the small one? :wink:

black I think when I last done it was 56mins ish but that was a while ago now ive stopped riding it really and only do the bits I really enjoy
  • othy
    othy Posts: 4
    our times is for the full red route went yesterday (sat) parked up on fire road 10 and done the good parts of black route was muddy loads of deep puddles well fun
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I haven't been to Thetford this year, but last year we regularly did the black in 42-45 mins. :wink:
    The red is good, but can't remember checking times around there. :roll:
    Will have to get there next month, for some practice, before the enduro's start again. :shock:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Nice link!
    I felt my times where a little sluggish...But, I'm a bit happier now! :wink:
    Must get back there soon, in prep for the Winter Series!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • I did it in just over 39mins a month or so back, was a sunny spell so was pretty dry which would make a BIG difference around there!!

That was going straight from the skip to the beast ignoring howls run as thats not really part of the route in my book (lots of paths, none of them clearly THE way through).
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

My Pinkbike Page: http://reg11.pinkbike.com/album/MTB-Stuff/

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • Did the Black, pole to pole in 37mins 37 secs 2 weeks ago.
    Was dry (which helps a lot) and cool.

Am working on improving that :wink:
    "Man can succeed at anything for which he has unlimited enthusiasm"
  • Did Thetford a couple of days ago - went around most of the blue run and then decided to tackle the beast for the first time to finish off. Real fun and stonking exercise. Pretty new to biking, never done any of the black run before. What are the dangers? The place was empty when I was there - on a busy day I presume you young guys will be hurtling through there - would a middle aged guy on an old heavyweight bike get in your way?
    Mike
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    Dont worry about getting in the way. Its the familys riders with toddlers going round you have got to watch out for. The black isnt really technically challenging in anyway imo. The bombholes and the beast and about the hardest bit.
  • Thanks.

Mike