Is this a good buy?

Metopes
Metopes Posts: 3
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hey

I've been looking for a road bike for a while now and have been in my local bike shop, I was going to buy an scr 1.5 but they have offered me a Claud Butler Strata 07 (full carbon fiber frame) for £750. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cla ... e-ec015423 Is the bike ok and is the price good? If you could give me your thoughts I would be grateful, as this is really my first steps in to road bikes.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    I've seen it elsewhere for £800, so i suppose on that basis it's not a bad buy.
    Carbon frames in general are'nt as expensive as when this model was made.
    I think the current one is under £1000 rrp.
    Bear in mind the groupset and components are the lower end of the scale so the money is really in the frame, so you may want to upgrade components in the future,
    cheers, scurry
  • Thanks for the reply and the information.
    How would you compare it to the defy 2, which do you recon is the better buy?
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    kit on it looks fairly similar, even the mavic wheels look pretty close if not the same, in which case it is whether you consider a full carbon frame to be an improvement to the alloy with carbon forks of the defy.

generally full carbon is more expensive but it depends what you want from the bike as to whether it is 'better'