Raleigh - Now finished

Pete Beer
Pete Beer Posts: 604
edited September 2008 in Road general
A mix of old and new. If it ever stps raining I'll test it.

Raleigh.jpg+P

Comments

• bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Looks very well Pete.
    Though to saddle would be no good for me.To narrow.Mostly all Brooks on my rides.
    Please post a picture on here.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/735735@N24/
    bagpuss
  • Looks tasty. But it hasn't rained here all day, been pretty sunny too. Not that I'm rubbing it in or anything. :wink:
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    lovely bike; although not too sure about the black/silver mix of components.
  • The plan is to ride it through the winter it's been built to ride to work and back, 2 miles each way, 2 huge hills, 1 at each end and a tad under 80" gear. Then in the spring I was going to get the frame painted black, fit a silver Campag chain set and black caliper, so I'd have a stealth bike.................
    The only snag is the frame is really nice as is, complete with some really interesting transfers. So I'll see how it holds up to the salt and general filth and decide then.
  • Never been too sure about commuter bikes without guards.
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    Looks swell don't paint it black (that is a heavy colour and the reason why most track bikes are white) leave it as it is.
  • What gearing are you using? I'm running 42:16 which is, I think, about 76". Just interested.

p.s. Beautiful bike. Don't think it'd be my commuter bike, looks too nice! :D
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I make 42:16 just a whisker over 70 gear inches? Nice bike.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • The gear inches would depend on the tyres.

On 700x23c tyres that would be a gnats over 69 inches. On 700x28c it would be an ants over 70 inches. On the classic nominal 27 inch calculation it would be a woodlouses whatsit under 71 inches.

You could get 76 inches out of that if you had 29 inch tyres on there, which would probably be something like a 2.3" MTB 29er. Somehow I don't think that the Raleigh has clearances for those :wink:
  • I think it's 42 : 14, which I think is 78" ish. It's amazingly light and feels quick.
  • Well, you can all now see how rubbish my maths is somethimes. Yes, it's just over 69". (Not the last time I'll like to admit that in my life... :wink:)
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
    1981. Posts: 270
    Lovely looking bike – silly questions but what seat post is that?
  • Miche Superlight, also available in siver...
    The stem's too long, so if anyone has a 80 or 90 they want to swap for a 120, quill type, olease let me know