Handlebar width

Bazzowmb
Bazzowmb Posts: 227
edited October 2008 in XC and Enduro
Currently using an Easton Low riser bar cut down to 650mm (with 110 stem) but I'm thinking of cutting it down a bit more, perhaps 620mm to make it a bit easier to get through a few tight manourves that exist round my way.

What width are you guys using for XC and is this likely to have an adverse affect on the handling?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I lopped 10mm off either side of a 560 bar it was fine. There wasn't much room for the controls but otherwise it was OK and great for threading through the tricky stuff.
  • The distance between the centres of your grips should equal your shoulder width for Xc Riding
  • I'm currently rocking a 580mm Race Face Ride XC flat bar and 110mm stem. I went from a 640mm no-name riser and it's been great.
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    530mm, Pace Sub 130... its narrow :-) but feels very very quick
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I went from a rather wider riser to a flat narrow EA70 bar. Have to say, i love the change!
  • try riding with your grips inboard for a bit before making the cut. you wont necessarily be able to go faster between the trees you want to with the extra metal sticking out past your grips, but you'll then know how the bike handles.

i personally think 620 will be alright. i've ridden for a year in varied conditions (xc racing, enduro, trail centres etc) with no problem. only reason i changed was for a trip to the alps (put on the widest bars i could buy!)
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Top advice there i'll be doing the same.

I actually had to go wider but with a shorter stem and less of an angle, i found i was being imbalanced on the bike especially on descents but now the steering is snappy, lively and controllable just feels very damn wide.

The revolver is known for being twitchy mind.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    660mm, i'm not even a big guy.
    But A. Can't and am too scared to cut down carbon bars
    B. The control is amazing and they are superlight anyway so there is no need for it.

Small gaps are difficult, but at least my shoulders are open and can breath :)